Saracen Terratrax Gear Shifters

Jonnycreb
Jonnycreb Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 'vintage' Saracen Terratrax from the mid nineties which has been sitting for 10 years or so. The kids are now able to cycle and it's about time I fettled it to join in with them and get it roadworthy again.

The gear shifters are goosed/sticking and the cables are rusted (Shimano Acera X Dual SIS) so I need to replace them. It's 21 speed (3 LH, 7 RH). The derailliers are Shimano Alivio and seemed to have freed up OK with some WD40.

My questions is, am I able to replace with any 21 speed Shimano gear shifters (3 and 7)? There are loads of models I find. Will I need a specific model to be compatible with the derailliers? (the Dual SIS seemed to be outdated now).

Also, the current knackered shifters unscrew from the break levers with an Allen key. Rather than faff with removing the grips and the whole brake lever assembly, which to me seems a little awkward, is there a specific model that I can buy which will simply screw back into the brake levers, or will/should I need the whole lot?

Am not really up to date with cycling advances, but am practical and can wield a spanner, so thanks in advance!

Comments