Routes around Ullswater?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited July 2016 in Tour & expedition
My wife and I have just booked a last minute two day break in the lakes at the end of this week, staying in the village of Patterdale, near Ullswater. Can anyone recommend a nice route, maybe a couple of hours or so. It looks like we are right on the doorstep of the Kirkstone Pass so that could be an option. Map my ride shows a lot of cycle paths in the area but street view doesn't recognise them, which always worries me that they may not be passable to road bikes. Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The lakes is a nightmare for cycling. Pretty much dreadful whichever way you ride.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd head East towards Appleby if you want some nice quiet roads. If you and your wife like hills you could nip up Great Dunn fell. Its possibly the nicest climb in the UK and it's closed to traffic. But if you don't fancy Great Dunn fell there's still loads of lovely quiet roads around Appleby way.

Those cycle paths are likely to be rough tracks.
    More problems but still living....
  • crescent
    Thanks for the info. I've been to the lakes a few times before, just not to this particular spot, so I know the terrain is undulating to say the least. The weather may well have the final say on how much cycling I manage to squeeze in. Cheers.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Kirkstone is a beautiful climb, especially the north side... you can then descend into Ambleside via the main road, have cake and climb back up via "the struggle". Or from Ambleside you can head towards Coniston via the B5286/5
    left the forum March 2023
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    The problem you have with Patterdale is there's only one road in & out.
    You could try getting the steamer from Glenridding to Howtown and then looping round Ullswater via Pooley Bridge, or ride to Howtown and get the ferry back to Glenridding.
    A couple of hours would take you over to Ambleside and back. there's 3 routes down the other side - The Struggle, the main road down to Windermere and Holbeck Lane down to Troutbeck bridge. An alternative would be to ride over to Troutbeck, stop at the Mortal Man and then back over - you avoid the dull final bit of the descent. The back road to Ings from Troutbeck is worth it if you stop off at The Watermill in Ings, or Wilf's/Hawkshead Brewery at Staveley.
    I'd try hard to avoid the Windermere to Ambleside road - its an extremely stressful ride with all the deliberate close passes you WILL get, despite being barely 5mph below the speed limit most of the way.

If you're up for a bit of off road, the bridleway from Hartsop up to Hayeswater would be an excellent route.
  • crescent
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The lakes is a nightmare for cycling. Pretty much dreadful whichever way you ride.

Just back home, and I have to say I'm now inclined to agree with you. This was my third visit to the area although this particular time was not specifically for cycling - the previous two were.I managed a couple of short runs and I enjoyed them, in so far as I always enjoy riding my bike. However, the roads are busy, narrow and extremely steep, generally speaking. Although I enjoy a bit of a climb as much as the next cyclist, it is constantly undulating, to the point where I was just craving a flat bit of road instead of a massive climb or scary descent. It's a nice part of the world but I would not be in a hurry to cycle there again.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Try the Pennines next time. If you'd headed East you'd have found quiet roads and none of the unpleasant steep stuff.
    More problems but still living....
  • crescent
    An option for another time perhaps, and one I will certainly explore. Like I say though, the cycling was an extra on top of some non-cycling activities. Mrs Crescent does not cycle, but is remarkably tolerant of me doing so, it wouldn't do to abuse said tolerance.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Crescent wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Just back home, and I have to say I'm now inclined to agree with you. This was my third visit to the area although this particular time was not specifically for cycling - the previous two were.I managed a couple of short runs and I enjoyed them, in so far as I always enjoy riding my bike. However, the roads are busy, narrow and extremely steep, generally speaking. Although I enjoy a bit of a climb as much as the next cyclist, it is constantly undulating, to the point where I was just craving a flat bit of road instead of a massive climb or scary descent. It's a nice part of the world but I would not be in a hurry to cycle there again.
    Try living here! :D
    I tend to avoid the main routes into the lakes. From Kendal I tend to head either east to the Howgills/Dales or South through Silverdale. The roads are much less busy.
    However, once you're in the lakes, so long as you avoid the main roads linking Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere/Bowness, Hawkshead & Consiston, the riding is brilliant. The roads to the west of Windermere, south of Sawrey & Hawkshead are relatively flat. the Lyth Valley (Bowness down to Levens) is paradise - nothing steep, wide road, no traffic & mostly decent surface. And the last 3 miles is absolutely dead flat. Shame about the constant headwind. Of the famous passes, Kirkstone is probably the worst as its a lot busier than the others as it links 2 honeypots, although it is wider & better surfaced.
    The west of the county has some fantastic roads. Even the Wasdale road is fairly quiet, given how popular the place supposedly is, and the scenery is stunning. The only issue is a stretch between Calderbridge & Gosforth where the main coast road is the only option unless you're happy riding on a narrow loose flint, gravel & sand path on the Sellafield to Seascale section of Sustrans Route 70.. :(

The one exception to a main road being a nightmare is the A6 between Kendal & Penrith. Until 30-odd years ago it was the main road to Scotland. Now its bypassed by the M6 so has very little traffic for such a big road. The climb from Kendal to Shap summit is a good long climb - 12km of mostly upwards. The fastest do it in 23 minutes :shock: Double that for normal people.

I shall be having a taster of the northern reaches of the county in August, on the Silloth Sportive. 60 Miles of FLAT! :mrgreen: