Noob needs some guidance!

Mansnake
Mansnake Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi guy's

New to the forum and MTB'ing so pretty much a complete noob.

I currently have a Voodoo Hoodoo that i got through the bike to work scheme with my employer which i use to bike to work everyday.

I only mainly use it for road/path biking rather than offroad so i'm thinking of changing my tyres to something a bit more road friendly.

I have 26 x 2.25" Maxxis on at the moment that came on the bike but thinking of something like:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod69137

or something similar.

If i was to change to a smaller tyre like 1.75 to 2 would i need to also buy new wheels and innertubes?

Thanks,
Lewis

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No, I think you'd be able to fit narrower, more road friendly tyres without swapping anything else.

From memory I had 1.5 inch slicks on my 26" MTB wheels when I was using it on the road a few years ago. Certainly less hard work than knobblies on the road...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I prefer fatter tyres even on the road - much more comfortable unless you are riding big distances.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The tube will have the sizes it spans written on it, 1.75-2.25" is a very common tube size.

I use 1.5" slicks on two bikes, fairly fast rolling while keeping an acceptable level of comfort (my commute roads are quite rough having been top dressed and then half of that dressing having come away).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm a 1.5 slick man too on my commuter - as Simon points out, is a good compromise.

However those Schwalbe Marathon are astonishingly heavy! The 1.5 there is 60% more than my 2.25 knobbly offroad tyre! I'd have a look for some folding bead tyres, much lighter - and often better compounds.