Shoe/Pedal squeak

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
A few weeks after changing shoes I've developed an annoying squeak!

Running a set of XT spd pedals on my road bike (asking here as there may be more spd users) with SIDI Dragon 4 shoes and it seems like part of the shoe, either the sole itself or the grips, is rubbing on the pedal and making a noise. It's particularly bad when climbing. I reckon it's something specific to SIDI (maybe because their grips are softer due to being replaceable) as my wife has the same problem on another set of SIDIs and there is no sound with my winter boots or with my old Shimano shoes. A dab of grease helps but soon wears off.

Anyone else come across this and have a solution?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are probably squealing in anguish at being used on a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Ho Ho Ho..... :mrgreen: :evil:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It sounds like a function of the sole material, both my SPD's (commuter and MTB) have polished section on top of the body from shoe contact (two different pairs of shoes) but no squeaking.

You could try using a spacer above the cleat to lift the shoe away from the pedal a fraction. SIDI sell a spacer for crank brothers due to the cleat sitting high in the shoe so you could try using it with Shimano http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SiDi-Cleat-Sp ... 3d1de9d75f
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Mr Sheen will cure your problem.