SRAM etap

ermintrude
ermintrude Posts: 514
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Has anybody fitted this groupset to their bike yet ? Thinking of putting it on my Cannondale. It currently has SRAM red 10 speed so assume I will need the entire groupset. Will my current SRAM red brakes still be usable ? Then I can just buy the partial groupset and 11-spd chain set ? Thanks for any info

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Your brakes and chainset will be compatible. All you need is the upgrade kit of shifters, front and rear derailleurs and cassette.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    as above the old brakes and chainset will be ok

just get the etap upgrade kit plus cassette and an 11-speed chain

the kit also includes brake cables and outer

this thread on ww has some info from several people who've installed (including me)...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &start=585

main thing i've found...

the fd set-up with non-yaw rings is a bit fiddlier, took a bit of tweaking to find the best position (which was not the position the instructions result in)

a few people (including me) found the lower limit screw of the fd was catching the inside of the crank during shifting, sram is aware of this and made a shorter screw available, presumably it'll be included as standard at some point, i just ground a couple of mm off the end and it was fine

the shifter bodies are smaller than mechanical red, i had to experiment with mounting position/angle to get the the same riding position when on the hoods

been using it a few months now, it's great, no wires, no more tweaking shifting after travel, battery life is excellent, it shifts
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Make sure whoever fits it uses lock thread on the front mech upper limit screw. Only issue being found is that it tends to come out and catch on the crank arms.

Once done it is fantastic.