Helmet

Marty7787
Marty7787 Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi, I have a bike (Cannondale Trail 4) on the cycle 2 work scheme. I wanted to try a bit of trial riding possibly some downhill stuff. anyway, I was wondering, do I need a full face helmet for what I want to try or would I look a bit of an idiot, going to the forest of dean, never done this before and just wanted a bit of a advice.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you mean trail, and doubt you mean actual DH, so I would say no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Downhill isn't like Redbull Rampage. That's freeride which is a whole different sport.
    You won't want to be riding downhill trails, even the FoD ones on a Canondale Trail. You'll destroy the wheels in no time. Also, FoD downhill trails are very high speed and quite blind in places so there a risk of getting rear ended if you ride them as a beginner on an unsuitable bike.
    For trail riding I'd just go for a good quality trail or enduro helmet, not full face. A full face helmet will just boil your swede on a warm summer day if you're doing a few miles.
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    Something like this would be great

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod129655

As its your first I'd pop to a local bike store or halfords and try a few on, then order on line as you will find cheaper
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why not buy from a local shop? When you pay the extra it's to cover their much higher costs and provide you with a convenient service.
    Going in to try on their kit and then ordering online is a bit more than just cheeky. Once they realise that's the way you do things, don't ever expect good service from them or expect any favours. You'll certainly be at the back of the questions for any service work you want done in a hurry.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Why not buy from a local shop? When you pay the extra it's to cover their much higher costs and provide you with a convenient service.

Agreed and the price difference is not that much. I spend far too much time in front of a screen and suspect a lot of us do.
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    Going in to try on their kit and then ordering online is a bit more than just cheeky. Once they realise that's the way you do things, don't ever expect good service from them or expect any favours. You'll certainly be at the back of the questions for any service work you want done in a hurry.

Fair point on the lbs but as to a big chain like halfords I don't see it that way. What's wrong with saving a few quid? When starting out its more expensive then you realise.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The most important thing with helmets is comfort. They're all passing the same standards.

Its worth paying a bit extra to know that the shape suits you - not all helmets do.

And looking at the OP's bike - that's not a downhill bike so I'd not bother with a full face helmet - start off gently and get used to the bike before you take on more challenging routes.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Best to go to a good local shop, try on loads of helmets and choose the one you like the look of from those that fit well.

Well worth the extra cost.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Halfords helmet range is pretty rubbish. I wouldn't bother going there.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Go to a few lbs and try on as many different brands/models as you can. I always choose for comfort not fashion and as it happens I've never paid more than £50 and often much less. Good helmets don't have to be expensive.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's worth paying for the most comfortable helmet. If you're on an 8 hour ride a mildly uncomfortable helmet becomes a torture device.
    Fortunately I got really lucky with both of mine, I found a Fox Flux for £35 and a Fox Rampage carbon marked up at €110 in France instead of £345 in the UK. Probably a mistake on the price ticket.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I I found a Fox Flux for £35 and a Fox Rampage carbon marked up at €110 in France instead of £345 in the UK. Probably a mistake on the price ticket.

No error - it was made of carbon, not carbon fibre. :lol:
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    FishFish wrote:
    I I found a Fox Flux for £35 and a Fox Rampage carbon marked up at €110 in France instead of £345 in the UK. Probably a mistake on the price ticket.

No error - it was made of carbon, not carbon fibre. :lol:

That explains why it looks like a lump of coal.