Le Tour 2016 - pre race chat

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    I do rally hope team sky have a shocker just to liven the race up. Nothing personal, but they have the power to strangle the race quite easily and turn it into a bore fest.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Be interesting to see how Sky are treated this year. Hopefully no cups of wee, nobody deserves that.

He seemed to be received OK in the Dauphine, but I didn't watch all of it.
    I do rally hope team sky have a shocker just to liven the race up. Nothing personal, but they have the power to strangle the race quite easily and turn it into a bore fest.

I don't really care who wins as long as it's close up until the final week. Ideally the final stage so that someone has to try a hail mary over the Joux Plane.

The last 3 editions have basically been over after the first summit finish which is what we don't want.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    ddraver wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also looking forward to the legions of trolls and morons who come out of the forum woodwork in July...

Yeah how dare people have an opinion or view on the TDF if they haven't been posting in the elite pro race forum for the last 11 months.

YOU DON'T KNOW MAN! YOU WERE'NT THERE!!

giphy.gif

Basically if you didn't contribute a post to the Tour Down Under, Dubai Tour and Tour of Turkey threads then you shouldn't be allowed to comment on TdF.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    effillo wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also looking forward to the legions of trolls and morons who come out of the forum woodwork in July...

Yeah how dare people have an opinion or view on the TDF if they haven't been posting in the elite pro race forum for the last 11 months.

YOU DON'T KNOW MAN! YOU WERE'NT THERE!!

giphy.gif

Basically if you didn't contribute a post to the Tour Down Under, Dubai Tour and Tour of Turkey threads then you shouldn't be allowed to comment on TdF.

...well clearly you didnt read that, but whevs
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    I think Sky squad will be

1. Froome
    2. Landa
    3. Poels
    4. Henao
    5. Nieve
    6. Stannard
    7. Rowe
    8. Kirienka
    9. Thomas/Puccio/Kwiatowski/?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    It's toug to look past Froome for this one, but hopefully it will be more of a challenge for overall. Sagan seems odds on for another Green Jersey too.

Will anyone try and target the Maillott Poisse ? Have I even spelt it correctly as well
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    I can honestly see Cav trying to get in breaks with Sagan, and taking him on for Green.

He knows he will be beaten by Greipel and Kittel most of the time in the sprints, so he's looking for other ways to win.

The transitional stages in the second week might be a chance for him
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    EnacheV wrote:
    I think Sky squad will be

1. Froome
    2. Landa
    3. Poels
    4. Henao
    5. Nieve
    6. Stannard
    7. Rowe
    8. Kirienka
    9. Thomas/Puccio/Kwiatowski/?

Sky fan?

Thomas will be there 100%.
  • joelsim
    sherer wrote:
    It's toug to look past Froome for this one, but hopefully it will be more of a challenge for overall. Sagan seems odds on for another Green Jersey too.

Will anyone try and target the Maillott Poisse ? Have I even spelt it correctly as well

Quintana will win it this year. Barring injury or illness.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Joelsim wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Big statement Joel, I think the only way that will happen is if Froome is injured.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Big statement Joel, I think the only way that will happen is if Froome is injured.

Quintana's getting better by the day. He looks to be in incredible form, one of the ITTs is uphill which he excels at, his flat ITT has improved immeasurably, he beat Froome last year but for a time loss on stage 2 in the wind.

I'm pretty sure it's his this year, Froome 2nd, no one else within 5 minutes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    Milton50 wrote:
    Be interesting to see how Sky are treated this year. Hopefully no cups of wee, nobody deserves that.

Very different audience. The Dauphine will only really attract cycling fans whilst the Tour attracts people who want to get drunk on a mountain to experience 'the event' and possibly grab TV time by wearing a mankini and running alongside the riders.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    It's amazing he French lap up someone like Bouhanni but hate a mild mannered guy like Froome.

Watch sky turn around the French fans but snapping up Bardet and winning the tour with him in the next 5 years. Pretty sure Brailsford said in an interview a few years back he'd love to win it with a French rider.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    effillo wrote:
    It's amazing he French lap up someone like Bouhanni but hate a mild mannered guy like Froome.

Watch sky turn around the French fans but snapping up Bardet and winning the tour with him in the next 5 years.
    A certain section of the French media, and therefore public, believe that France are the cycling gods' chosen people and French victory is the natural order. Occasional Italians and Belgians will challenge but France must rule, as they did for 80 years, so the current situation is 'pas normale' and must be explained by foreign cheats rather than French ineptitude.

Even French doping, like Jalabert, is excused as it is merely maintaining the natural order.

English football had the same superiority delusion for decades and can still be seen in some quarters.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Help oh wise ones,

Managed to arrange/wangle family holiday around the race again. Option is to be close enough to the start of Stage 14 (flat - Montelimar). Never been to a TdF start before - will it be an anti-climax compared to mid-race viewing ?

I'm hoping for a high placing for Chaves (the smiling assassin) after his Giro run.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • takethehighroad
    The start is the best place to see the riders, get autographs, photos etc as during the stage they fly past and at the end they're cream crackered from riding their bikes all day!
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Having ridden up to the Emosson Dam earlier this month I think this could be more of a GC sort out than the ITT next day.
    The Forclaz before it is simple enough but if anyone attacks on the desent it could go ballistic. The climb through the village of Finault is steep, 180 degree bends at up above 20% and very narrow.
  • Pross wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Very different audience. The Dauphine will only really attract cycling fans whilst the Tour attracts people who want to get drunk on a mountain to experience 'the event' and possibly grab TV time by wearing a mankini and running alongside the riders.

The huge difference in media attention is also a massive factor. The media - and not just the French - plan their media campaign and resourcing for the Tour as if theyre covering a cross between a sport & a 3 week long entertainment show.

And they like to drop a little bomb in the days running up to the Grand Depart - gotta hype up any teensy potential for a scandal and try to get their readers, viewers and those crucial clicks from the get-go.

And again, not just the French media. Remember before last years Utrecht start when, ooooh the scandal, the British press wet themselves over the discovery that 1) Servais Knaven rode for TVM-Farm Frites (no sh^t Sherlock), and when that didn't get them too far, they then resorted to plan z - running a story that a Sky swannie worked for US Postal on one race.

Christ on a bike, that was desperation personified
  • Pross wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

The huge difference in media attention is also a massive factor. The media - and not just the French - plan their media campaign and resourcing for the Tour as if theyre covering a cross between a sport & a 3 week long entertainment show.

And they like to drop a little bomb in the days running up to the Grand Depart - gotta hype up any teensy potential for a scandal and try to get their readers, viewers and those crucial clicks from the get-go.

And again, not just the French media. Remember before last years Utrecht start when, ooooh the scandal, the British press wet themselves over the discovery that 1) Servais Knaven rode for TVM-Farm Frites (no sh^t Sherlock), and when that didn't get them too far, they then resorted to plan z - running a story that a Sky swannie worked for US Postal on one race.

Christ on a bike, that was desperation personified

Step forward Matt Lawson, Tom Cary, Matt Dickinson, Sporting Intelligence guy, and everyone's favourites school rag reporter, Teddy Cutler. The successors to Woodward & Bernstein
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    ClVUKCkWIAAoS5X.jpg

via ammattipyöräily ‏@ammattipyoraily

Nibs at 34-1?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • takethehighroad
    "Supporting" Aru aint he? Olympics and all that
  • rick_chasey
    ClVUKCkWIAAoS5X.jpg

Nibs at 34-1?

Might be worth each way.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598
    I can honestly see Cav trying to get in breaks with Sagan, and taking him on for Green.

He knows he will be beaten by Greipel and Kittel most of the time in the sprints, so he's looking for other ways to win.

The transitional stages in the second week might be a chance for him

I'd be surprised if Cav does more than a week. I'd guess he'll go all out for yellow, then bugger off to prep for Rio.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    ClVUKCkWIAAoS5X.jpg

Nibs at 34-1?

Bardet at 81-1 must be a cracking shout each way?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    everyone's favourites school rag reporter, Teddy Cutler. The successors to Woodward & Bernstein

Did you see? he's going to write a book about overcoming adversity becasue some people on twitter asked him to back up what he said a bit...

The horror!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    Bardet 80/1, or 81. Depending on which system is used.

He isn't 81/1.

:)
  • joelsim
    ddraver wrote:
    everyone's favourites school rag reporter, Teddy Cutler. The successors to Woodward & Bernstein

Did you see? he's going to write a book about overcoming adversity becasue some people on twitter asked him to back up what he said a bit...

The horror!

This is the bloke who says he has proof that Froome is doping, yet isn't prepared to tell anyone. He's a bit of a dick.
  • milton50
    Pross wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Fair point.
  • milton50
    ClVUKCkWIAAoS5X.jpg

Nibs at 34-1?

Might be worth each way.

3rd is possible. But as we all know doing the Giro-Tour double can't be done clean. Hmm actually just thinking about it he might be able to get the win...
  • rick_chasey
    ClVUKCkWIAAoS5X.jpg

Nibs at 34-1?

Bardet at 81-1 must be a cracking shout each way?

You really think he'll end up on the podium?