8 weeks to train for Ventoux

Cup-o-fish
Cup-o-fish Posts: 15
I'm due to cycle Ventoux at the end of July. having been out of action with a viral chest infection for most of the last 2-3 months I finally managed to start training 10 days ago, leaving 6.5 weeks to go before I'm due to do the ride.

Is this enough time? And if so, can anyone recommend a training programme?

It's not an event so not against the clock, but that said I want to do it well (i.e. reasonable time, without stopping). Taking the Bedoit route. I'll be riding in the area for 4 consecutive days (Ventoux itself on day 2). I am (usually) of a decent fitness.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    1. Train hard
    2. Rest harder
    3. Make sure you have low gears, as any terrain is doable with the right gears.

What distances are you expecting to do each day?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    More details... what is do well for you? Under 2 hours? Under 1:45? Under 1:30?

As a general comment, I think you are overthinking it... yes, it is a long and steep climb, but it's just a climb and if you don't find melting heat or gale force wind you will go up no problem. Just climb it early in the morning...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cup-o-fish
    drlodge wrote:
    1. Train hard
    2. Rest harder
    3. Make sure you have low gears, as any terrain is doable with the right gears.

What distances are you expecting to do each day?

Well, I started training hard and now have a cold (hopefully minor and brief and stays away from my chest).
    I have a compact double with 28T at the back.

As for times, I'm guessing 2 hours is good?

And km each day: roughly 40, 100, 100, 40
  • drlodge
    I'd say that's doable, but as Ugo say, don't overthink it. Aim to be able to do 100 hilly km in a day and then again the next day - so for me that would mean doing (or working up to) 100 hilly km rides. Typically I ride a long route at the weekend, with a shorter ride during the week. I would suggest 3 rides a week - 2 shorter, one longer - or more if you can and your body is willing.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Cup-o-fish
    Thanks, drlodge.
    Now to shift this cold!
  • Cup-o-fish
    Any idea where I might be able to download a training plan?
  • drlodge
    You don't need a "training plan", may be you could find a generic plan on the web, but really I think you just need to be doing 3 good rides a week, one of them a long one and the other two shorter but more intense. Plot out some rides and figure which you will do when...and voila!
    Find me on Strava
  • Cup-o-fish
    Okay, thanks very much - appreciated!
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I cycled up Ventoux last Tuesday and had been training since November.

It was the last day of my 5 day French venture averaging 85 miles per day............it is tough and relentless so train as much as you can before you go so that you can enjoy it.

I'm not trying to put you off but being real ;-)
  • Alpina007
    Alpina007 Posts: 106
    AberdeenAl wrote:

It was the last day of my 5 day French venture averaging 85 miles per day............it is tough and relentless so train as much as you can before you go so that you can enjoy it.

So did I!. Along with a bunch of 14 other guys, all the way from Toulouse :D
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Alpina007 wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:

So did I!. Along with a bunch of 14 other guys, all the way from Toulouse :D

I think I was one of those 14 :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Hill reps is the solution pick a 5 minute hill and climb in a tall gear. Get to to the point where you can do it at 35 rpm just below your critical power. Tomorrow morning for me is 6x balli hill. 4x in a mix of seated or standing at 35rpm just below critical power. one time higher cadance above. the final time eyes out of storks effort.

Do that once or twice a week (depending on your fitness) and it will help alot. Your 5 minute effort translates to building strength for 2 hours in the saddle.
    The rest of the week base miles.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Did that climb last month (and a further day in the environs) on three weeks notice and no specific training other than c. 250km of riding (mostly commuting) per week and no hill training to speak of. Was fine, even enjoyable. Just don't burn too many matches before you hit Chateau Reynaud, which means stay (a bit) below FTP/LTHR and keep that 28T fitted (and if you can, keep the 28 in reserve for the summit).

By the way, Ventoux was nice to have done, but the Gorges de la nesque near Sault were so good we did them twice.