Baloise Belgium Tour

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
edited June 2016 in Pro race
Strangely this has passed everyone by.

I guess without Goat around, we've forgotten to look at Belgian races ourselves.

Anyway, a summary of events.

Main story is Stig Broeckx, a Lotto rider, is in a coma after another moto incident on stage 3.

The prologue was won by Wout van Aert (yes, the same cyclocross one)

Theuns won the sprint on stage 1.

Stage 2 saw a break of 10 get away from the bunch, with Dries Devenyns winning for IAM.

Stage 3 saw the accident that put Stig in a coma and ultimately the stage was cancelled. Two motos hit one another on a cobbled descent and that then caused a more serious crash involving Stig.

Stage 4 was another sprint, won by Zico Waeytens of Giant Alpecin, leaving Dries with the overall victory.

Comments

• Giro energy pull
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Strangely this has passed everyone by.

I guess without Goat around....

Eh? Did I miss something? Has DG WD'd from PR? :(
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    I haven't seen him or RR around recently.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I haven't seen him or RR around recently.

Are you making idle gossip?? :D

Be a shame. DG certainly one of the most knowledgeable posters on here. RR appears to have an inside lane on many stories too.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    RR is making a name for herself as a cycling photographer extraordinaire, DG is writing his Magnum Opus
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Saw about the crash on facebook, yet another accident, the UCI said they will look into it. Seems strange to get so many in such a short space of time but maybe it's just a freak occurance
  • rick_chasey
    Let's see some of these pics then.
  • rick_chasey
    sherer wrote:
    Saw about the crash on facebook, yet another accident, the UCI said they will look into it. Seems strange to get so many in such a short space of time but maybe it's just a freak occurance

Belgian roads are tricky. You wonder if it is related to the degradation of roads as a result of austerity.

Some commentators have.
  • ddraver
    I don't remember Belgian roads being better pre-recession...

The reality is that this is another crash caused directly by a moto which has led to a major injury - close to a death - to another rider...
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

I think there were some issues getting instagram pics linked here...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Some pics here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... ent-231083

Not many photos about

Does amaze me this sort of thing doesnt happen more often. Maybe there should be a rule like motorbikes will only pass on side x, if the ride is as far over as he can be on that side then dont pass at all
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Don't think that would be desirable as there will be times motos have to pass riders for safety reasons and if they are lined out in the gutter with a crosswind it could be quite safe to pass on the "illegal" side but impossible on the side they are meant to pass on.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    does anyone know what check/tests the moto riders have to do to be allowed in a race? or is it a case of you have a licence you can marshal, carry a camera man or whatever
  • ddraver wrote:
    RR is making a name for herself as a cycling photographer extraordinaire, DG is writing his Magnum Opus

I am back :D
  • dish_dash wrote:

I think there were some issues getting instagram pics linked here...

I am rubbish. I have tried tinypics and that didnae work out well :-(
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Speaking of posters not being seen recently I am officially declare Macaloon missing.

He was meant to run Giro PTP but never showed up and clearly isn't checking PMs.
  • ddraver
    He's become a serial killer and is now known as the Management Consultant Murderer or the Brailsford Butcher depending on which source you read...

(and I need to stop binge watching Dexter)
    - @ddraver