Removing crank w/o puller

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

For reasons we wont go into :shock: , I need to remove a pedal crank from my bike without using a crank puller. Anyone got any tips on how to do this?

Cheers
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What sort of interface?

Square taper - undo the bolts and ride. Might injure the cranks though.

Stick a bit of wood behind and hammer.

Waggle it.

All of the above.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Schoie81
    Thanks cooldad - yes, it's a square taper. So if I undo it all, and ride it - it'll likely eventually come off on it's own? Bit of wood looks best method to try.

Any mileage in using a wedge behind the crank and forcing that between the crank and the frame - or could that risk damaging something else?
  • cooldad
    Crank puller is a few £s - I'd get the right tool ideally.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WinNT
    WinNT Posts: 21
    use something like this
    5719.png
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you really must do it without the proper tool you could try loosening the bolts a bit then whacking them smartly. That may shock the crank free. Be aware it also might not do the bearings any good though...
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Get a couple of friends to hold the bike up by its crank and use a piece of hard wood and a hammer to knock the crank axle out? I'm guessing here that the threads in the crank are stripped?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I think you need to go into the whole story of why a crank puller can't be used, tbh!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 296
    I recently bought an old 2nd hand Carrera Vulcan to act as a university commuter for my son.
    Decided to strip it first and ensure at least mechanically it was sound as BB was shot.
    Threads for cranks were shot so unable to use proper crank puller. Tried bearing puller but unable to get sufficient purchase for it to actually have any effect. General hammering to try and force crank off also had zero effect, along with application of some heat.
    Last resort was my trusty angle grinder which certainly did the job, but at the expense of the cranks.
    Hope you have better luck!
  • Schoie81
    As some have assumed now, I've stripped the thread off the inside of the crank, so crank puller not a possibility - I have a crank puller, and have used it to remove the other crank, but the chainiring side thread is no more. Totally my fault, and lesson learnt. Not been sleeping well so brain obviously wasn't fully engaged - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!

Sounds like it's going to be a struggle however I do it. Only want it off to give it a good clean and to check the BB, so might just leave it on for now....
  • cooldad
    Leaving things alone is often the best solution.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... ank-puller

May be worth a try, or cheekily suggest your local Halfords order one in for their mechanic to use and test on your bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the BB is OK, then it's OK, not much to check on a sealed bearing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.