Pro 2 Evo hubs moving in Rockshock Pike forks

VenomX51
VenomX51 Posts: 2
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there

I've got a Pro 2 evo hub on front with RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air Forks, and I've been noticing a noise when I'm hitting bumps and it's taken me a while to track down;

I've looked at the 15mm adapters on the hub, and the recess on my forks, and there is a fair bit of play between the two; If I hold the adapter in place against the forks I can move it forward and back a few mm. I've uploaded a youtube vid of this; https://youtu.be/vwGTlxMdjno)

So when then whole wheel is tightened in place and I'm riding, this is enough room for a front impact to move the wheel back a mm or two (with a crack noise as the hub is held against the fork under tension). Further front impactsfrom the same direction will then be silent as the hub is now pushed back fully. However, if I then have an impact from below (which is also slightly behind the wheel due to the angle of the headset) the hub is knocked forward in this recess, again with a crack noise, and will now take further impacts from below silently.

I guess my question is how much should the hub be able to move in the fork recess when it's not under tension? Should it be a perfect fit, a small amount of play, or a couple of mm as mine has?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have a second wheel or set of forks I can compare with.