Bearing fell apart being removed - now the outer section is stuck - ideas for removing?

bigpee
bigpee Posts: 205
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've been servicing the frame bearings on my Norco Sight. Whilst removing one of the ones on the suspension linkage it disintergrated leaving the outer race section stuck inside. There is now no means to drift this out - has anyone else had this happen and got any ideas for how I can remove it? The best I can think of so far is a dremmel with a cutting disc but this seems risky, and I don't want to have to buy a dremmel if I can help it!
Current bikes:
Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
Boardman HT Comp 2010
GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Can you post a photo?
    There will be a way to remove it.
  • bigpee
    https://goo.gl/photos/ZVjh6JT5L9pvtgNi7

Let's see if this works for uploading image.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to use a cutter opposite each other and then peel one side inwards to eliminate the friction holding it in.

I'd use a tile cuter in a Dremel so it can cut sideways, it's hardened steel though so will take an effort.

Poor design, the housing lip should always allow access to the out race.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigpee
    Feared that was the case. Was hoping there might be a neat trick though that'd save me buying a dremmel.
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Get a punch or ground down chisel with a sharp offset point, and try tapping the drift gently with a hammer to get some purchase on the inside of the bearing. with perseverance it should come, bit at a time. some heat to the area might help. hairdryer etc but don't burn the paint, It should come without cutting, that's pretty drastic. a light engineers workshop or even LBS might help.
    Good Luck
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi All.

What I've done in the past but I must admit on motorbikes is find a washer that fits in side the outer of the bearing and tack weld it in and then knock it out you could mask around the area in case of any splatter also the heat it generates should expand the alloy which also helps, possible be careful in case of magnesium or special metals.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Happened to me on my old stumpy, managed to punch it out with a small chisel.
  • Where the plastic cover was there should be a small lip between the outer shell bearing and the frame that you may get a small flat head screwdriver in. Work it round and see if it moves.
    See if ant local bike shops habe a Blind Bearing Puller set, these expand to knock out a bearing you can't get at, though the bit you have left may be too big - my set goes up to 30mm
  • rockmonkeysc
    Don't do anything which could put much heat in to the frame. You'll reverse some of the heat treatment in the aluminium and soften it. Unfortunately, a dremmel is probably the best solution but try to keep it cool and try to get the metal very thin so you can collapse it without damaging the bearing surface in the frame.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    My mate had a similar. He used a kettle full of hot water and had doused it the day before in gt85. Not sure if the lube made any difference but it did extract.
    it worked for him with no obvious issues caused. (That was over 2 years ago)
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • bigpee
    Thanks for all the replies. There's no gap from the other side to get any kind of screw driver or chisel down. I'm also cautious about scoring the inside surface. Fortunately I've found a dremmel I can borrow so will give this a go soon. Typical though - all the others came out easily so has hoped it was going to be an easy job!
    Current bikes:
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
  • rockmonkeysc
    You could try a pipe freezing kit on the bearing. Should shrink it a little.
    Hot water won't do much to expand the frame.