canyon grand canyon - which one?

medovo
medovo Posts: 13
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
I want to buy a new bike and I'm really interested in canyon hardtails, but can't decided between these two.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/grand- ... x-8-9.html
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/grand- ... x-7-9.html

the difference is 200 pounds and we are talking mainly xt vs slx brakes and fox float vs reba rl. Budget is tight so I'm inclined towards 7.9 but what do you think?

Have you got any experience with these bikes?
Thanx for your advice.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    To be honest I'd avoid Canyon if you actually want the bike in under six months.
    Take a look at the Decathlon, Boardman and Raidon hardtails.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Unless you are deadest on getting a Canyon I would also advise to look elsewhere (unless you aren't bothered about waiting/have another bike to ride until it arrives) as at present people seem to be waiting several months. If you were to order now I wouldn't be expecting it to arrive until after the summer :(.

Decathlon and Raidon do good bikes around this price point or maybe give Bird bikes a look (http://www.birdmtb.com/).
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    then how come i just ordered a Canyon an got it within 2weeks, it said IN STOCK & it was.
    whatever issues they ve had, are now pretty much resolved.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Lucky you. I don't think it's as clear cut as that!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Rookie1986
    mamba80 wrote:
    then how come i just ordered a Canyon an got it within 2weeks, it said IN STOCK & it was.

I have friends who bought in Feb/March and are still waiting, seems very much luck of the draw depending on which bike your wanting and what size it is. I got my Canyon Nerve in a Small in around 5-7 days but not everyone else has been so lucky (go visit Canyon's Facebook page, its full of comments complaining about bike waiting and delivery times). Hopefully they have everything sorted now and will get the backlog out the door asap but I would advise OP giving them an email/call before placing an order as the website times aren't always accurate.
  • rockmonkeysc
    mamba80 wrote:

I know people who ordered in February and March who are still waiting. As above, check out the complaints on their Facebook page.
  • medovo
    medovo Posts: 13
    Thanks for you suggestions guys, I'm kind of set on canyon though and according to their website Grand Canyon 7.9 should be in stock now, so I guess I'll give it a go. I'll let you know of my customer experience on this threat later.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They've always said bikes were in stock and quoted two weeks delivery. Didn't mean you'd actually get it in less than four months.
    The bikes are nothing special, I wouldn't risk it.
  • Rookie1986
    They've always said bikes were in stock and quoted two weeks delivery. Didn't mean you'd actually get it in less than four months.
    The bikes are nothing special, I wouldn't risk it.

Or at least phone them before you place the order to make sure it's in stock and avoid disappointment!
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    medovo wrote:
    Thanks for you suggestions guys, I'm kind of set on canyon though and according to their website Grand Canyon 7.9 should be in stock now, so I guess I'll give it a go. I'll let you know of my customer experience on this threat later.

If your in UK, ring Canyon and speak to Alex, he was brilliant on my order, which said in stock and i got it within 2 weeks.

when Canyon say in stock, they mean all the bits are in the factory and then there is the build to be done plus delivery.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't think they're problem was ever with not having stock. The problem was getting bikes built and out of the warehouse.