New chainring. Rough in most gears esp bottom?

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Got myself a fancy new chainring (renthal rx1) and it sounds quite rough as its pulling the chain from the taller sprockets to sit square on the chainring. I don't have this problem with my current hope ring. Is this something that will wear in or do I need to play around with washers/spacers bring it more inline?

Thanks CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Did you fit a new chain and cassette?
    All these parts wear together so replacing one bit means things don't fit anymore.
  • Caveman_Chris
    Less than 100km (14 7km rides)? I can see that it's moving the chain over onto its self similar to being crossed with a 2x setup. Same crank/BB as before.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Have a look at the chainring and where you put it on the spider to confirm that it was on the same side of the spider as the hope ring. Did you have a bash guard now that you did not have before? Or the other way round? Those might account for the chain line shifting. My guess you have a 1*10 or 1*something?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Caveman_Chris
    Sorry, mt8000 xt 1x11 w/raceface crank. Same position as old chainring, no extras besides the two extra teeth (30-32)

Measured them up this morning and the hope one has extra metal on the ring where the bolts thread into as a washer, bringing it further in. Played around with washers this morning and all it does is change which gear its loudest in.

Could chain length be the issue? There's still room for movement in the derailleur.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you put a biiger ring on, you should have resized the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I read the reviews of the Renthal ring - nice - but expensive. When you soert out the chain can you let us know if you find it better than the Hope?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Still no joy. New chain chain made no difference at all. There are 2 or 3 cogs where it's quiet mid cassette but everything else is very loud and a high speed in top/11 it makes the back of the bike vibrate a lot.

Emailed renthal to see if they know what's up but in the mean time I'm going to order a new raceface one.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er