Orange ClockWork or Whyte 805?

Strat68
Strat68 Posts: 13
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Still on the lookout for a beginner's mtb , max 1k-ish.
What would be the pros/cons on the Orange ClockWork or Whyte 805?
They both look good to me, but I have no idea what I'm looking at :D

And would a full sus need regular servicing?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help, but even without looking I'd be fairly certain you can do much better for that sort of money.

Forks, shocks and bearings need regular attention.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Strat68
    The ones I'm thinking about would be

http://www.whyte.bike/#!805-16/ahxtc
    or

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-120

They're both a grand.

It would have to be somewhere that accepted cycle scheme vouchers which I believe rules out Decathlon and Bird, which is a shame as they seem highly regarded here.
    The use will be going to work across parks/towpath and we have secure storage to leave it, plus general out and about at weekends, nothing as hard core as you guys do :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What shops can you use? there are a number of different schemes.

Halfords or On One have some great bikes at decent prices.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is nothing overtly wrong with them - except the price - low kit level for the money. It all works well enough, but I'd expect lighter, higher end parts on a 1 grand hardtail.

Can you us OnOne?
  • Strat68
    I'll email On One now and ask them, worth a try.
    Just called Decathlon and they do accept CycleScheme, result!
    Their Rafal 700 or 720 look good - any informed options of either of those Vs the Whyte 805 or Clockwork 120?
    Thanks for the help, appreciate any advice :)
  • supersonic
    The Rafals are not as long, low or slack as the Whyte or Orange - has more XC geometry. It is lighter and better specced than either of them and will feel faster in the handling, but won't feel as stable on rougher terrain (especially when pointing down)- so depends what type of bike you want.

I'd also take a look at this, if you can use Halfords:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015
  • Strat68
    That 13 incline certainly looks good, i'll pop over in the week and check one out.
    What does long / low / slack mean?
    I guess i'm after a bit of an all rounder, a comfortable bike rather than something too expert or too hard core - is that what XC is suitable for?
  • supersonic
    The latest trail bikes have evolved now to where the geometry is built for stability - long wheelbases, long top tubes, low bottom bracket, slack head angles. Combined with short stems and wide bars they can offer a lot of confidence in the rough. However some find them slow to change direction and to wander on climbs. Racy XC bikes are the other way, steep head angles, longer stems - great for hammering out of the saddle up climbs and twisty stuff on the flat, but can feel nervous and harder to control on downs and technical parts.

However, the 805 is not as 'extreme' as the 9 series Whytes (nor the Orange) as I thought it was, sitting in the middle ground which I think would suit you best. As does the 13 Incline Delta - which is also much better specced.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    bird TR

No explanation as to why the Bird is the best choice?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Bird is the word.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    bird TR

No explanation as to why the Bird is the best choice?

if I gave one, we wouldn't see you acting like your normal dick like self would we :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Giving a suggestion with no reasoning is pretty pointless though, if you explain why your recommending something it gives you more (some) credibility.

Nothing to do with whether the TR is a good bike or not, but people asking for help need some background from which to decide on how much weight to give that help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Strat68
    supersonic wrote:
    The latest trail bikes have evolved now to where the geometry is built for stability - long wheelbases, long top tubes, low bottom bracket, slack head angles. Combined with short stems and wide bars they can offer a lot of confidence in the rough. However some find them slow to change direction and to wander on climbs. Racy XC bikes are the other way, steep head angles, longer stems - great for hammering out of the saddle up climbs and twisty stuff on the flat, but can feel nervous and harder to control on downs and technical parts.

However, the 805 is not as 'extreme' as the 9 series Whytes (nor the Orange) as I thought it was, sitting in the middle ground which I think would suit you best. As does the 13 Incline Delta - which is also much better specced.

Many thanks for the in depth post Supersonic, that's genuinely helpful as it helped me picture the kind of bike I'm after.
    I've got to check out that Incline 13, didn't realise Halfords did such nice bikes.
    I also like the look of this Ragley Marley - comes in dead on budget and looks great:
    http://ragleybikes.com/products/marley- ... lete-bike/
    The reviews have been great, but does anyone have one to comment on?
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    The ragleys more of a hardcore hardtail. For your described useage probably not suited.