Road teams for Rio

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    RichN95 wrote:
    In 2004 UK went to the Olympics with a Road Race team of Hammond (who did well), Wegelius, Winn and Dangerfield. Now we're arguing whether a two time Tour winner should be selected on a climber's course.

I don't think anyone has suggested he shouldn't be selected. Certainly in my case I was arguing that he is not necessarily our best chance for a win. There's always a chance he can go solo on the last climb or in a group that doesn't contain anyone with a decent sprint (actually, I think Froome could do alright in a flat sprint from a small group of climbers but we've never really seen proof of this in a race situation and I wouldn't back him against Valverde, Alaphillipe or several others including Yates).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Cummings doesn't seem happy to have been left out. Calling for Ellingworth to resign, says conflicted by his role at Team Sky...
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    As much as I like Cummings it is hard to disagree with the squad when you look at what they can all do over the roads of TdF and classics. Pete is the only question mark as to where his fitness is, but as he showed earlier in the year in Oz and previously in nationals, he is more than capable of getting away on a course that's a little lumpy. I think it's a good team, I'd be suprised if we got gold, potentially a medal though.

As far as calling for Ellingworth to quit, you have to remember just what he has done for team GB road cycling, is there a better man out there for the job, sky links or no sky links.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    What did Cummings think he can actually add to the team? It's too tough for him to win and he's not a team player. GB are all in for Froome and have picked a team to support him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    A good test of how much of a team player Cummings is today. If he has pretentions to say he is, he'll be helping Cav in the crosswinds on the run in to the finish
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    He probably feels he was under rated at Sky and given the links between Sky and BC that his non-selection is just a continuation of that. To be fair I can see his point but BC tend to go for an all for one approach and if they are going to do that I can't really see why Cummings is that bothered as he isn't going to be that one.

I haven't looked at the parcours beyond knowing it's tough but if there is any chance he could be there in any selection he has shown he can win a race so maybe he thinks he should be there as a second card to play.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Cummings rode on the front a lot today.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Whereas Emma Pooley was way off the back in the Giro Rosa. Finished 12 minutes down on a moderately hilly stage.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    For the men's it's a bit irrelevant - they won't get on the podium so not worth falling out over it.
  • TheBigBean
    For the men's it's a bit irrelevant - they won't get on the podium so not worth falling out over it.

That's the most likely outcome, but it would be nice to at least try to win.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    andyp wrote:
    Whereas Emma Pooley was way off the back in the Giro Rosa. Finished 12 minutes down on a moderately hilly stage.

This really doesn't bode well at all. I think that there must be a growing argument to take Weaver to Rio in her place. Since there is no coverage at all of the race it's difficult to know exactly how the race unfolded, but 12 mins behind seems way way off the pace.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    andyp wrote:

This really doesn't bode well at all. I think that there must be a growing argument to take Weaver to Rio in her place. Since there is no coverage at all of the race it's difficult to know exactly how the race unfolded, but 12 mins behind seems way way off the pace.

there are brief highlights of the days stages on the UCI youtube channel, but delayed by a day and obviously dont focus on all the riders, so might not pick up what happened today with the tail group it looks like she was probably in, but she lost 10mins on just todays stage, and finished alone over 5mins off her nearest teammate.

stages 5 & 6 look to be the big mountain stages, and then stage 7 is the ITT.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

In which case, what's the likeliest scenario a Brit wins?

Group goes away, favourites play too much poker, right?

Separately...

I've often wondered why Froome isn't good in one days. I mean miles away.

Maybe this route is selective enough that it will remove the skill element and leave it to legs.
  • TheBigBean
    More likely that the favourites don't ride the race quick enough as they lack teams and enthusiastic riders to drill it on the front. Someone then attacks near the end and wins as the others look at each other.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

If I see GB doing work on the front of the peloton at any point during this race I'll lose my sh!t.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Details are scant, but it sounds like Emma Pooley put in a good ride on the first big mountain stage in the Giro Rosa. She was, I believe, second over the top of the Mortirolo.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    andyp wrote:
    Details are scant, but it sounds like Emma Pooley put in a good ride on the first big mountain stage in the Giro Rosa. She was, I believe, second over the top of the Mortirolo.

yep, I said I thought stage 5 would be one of the ones to look for :D but how much Mortirolo took out of her for stage 6 as that looks to be another tough set of climbs to contest over.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Italian team announced: Nibali, Aru, D.Caruso, De Marchi and Rosa.

I'm surprised by the absence of Ulissi.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    TheBigBean wrote:

Cummings goes in the break. Froome and Yates sit in the group of favourites doing no work. One or other attacks in the final kms of the last climb, assuming the break has been brought back by then.

The selection however suggests they will try to boss the group of favourites in which case there is almost no scenario where they can win unless all the other countries are collectively so in awe of Froome that they basically hand him the win on a plate.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Cummings goes in the break. Froome and Yates sit in the group of favourites doing no work. One or other attacks in the final kms of the last climb, assuming the break has been brought back by then.

The selection however suggests they will try to boss the group of favourites in which case there is almost no scenario where they can win unless all the other countries are collectively so in awe of Froome that they basically hand him the win on a plate.

You have seen World Championships/Olympics Road Races before yes?

The "break" will be made up of riders from nations just happy to be there (I'm guessing Uzbekistan, Thailand and Brazil)

There will then be a top tier break with about 50-60k to go, where semi favourites will send team mates up the road (aka Voeckler time)

This is potentially the time when you'd send Cummings, but the course will be so selective that this group will naturally come back without too much extra effort from the group, hence not useful to have him in the team.

When you've only got 5 riders there's no room for a free bird like Cummings, as good as I think he is at that role
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

The "break" will be made up of riders from nations just happy to be there (I'm guessing Uzbekistan, Thailand and Brazil)

There will then be a top tier break with about 50-60k to go, where semi favourites will send team mates up the road (aka Voeckler time)

This is potentially the time when you'd send Cummings, but the course will be so selective that this group will naturally come back without too much extra effort from the group, hence not useful to have him in the team.

When you've only got 5 riders there's no room for a free bird like Cummings, as good as I think he is at that role
    Funnily enough, I see a little bit of Voeckler in the way Cummings has been riding recently. Not the TV Tommy showman nonsense but the tactically astute breakaway rider.

The semi favourites group will probably come back, yes. But one or more teams will need to keep it under control. Having Cummings in that break will mean Froome and Yates can simply sit on. In other words I think that Cummings has a slim to zero chance of actually winning it himself but, by appearing to be doing his own thing, can contribute more to Froome's cause than a loyal Stannard hanging with Froome for as long as possible.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Funnily enough, I see a little bit of Voeckler in the way Cummings has been riding recently. Not the TV Tommy showman nonsense but the tactically astute breakaway rider.

The semi favourites group will probably come back, yes. But one or more teams will need to keep it under control. Having Cummings in that break will mean Froome and Yates can simply sit on. In other words I think that Cummings has a slim to zero chance of actually winning it himself but, by appearing to be doing his own thing, can contribute more to Froome's cause than a loyal Stannard hanging with Froome for as long as possible.

Another scenario is that teams think we (Britain) have 1st and 3rd in the Tour in our ranks and won't let any break with a British rider in it get anywhere up the road. I mean would you expect other teams to be happy for a Spanish rider to get in the break so Valverde can sit in the bunch?

As it is, you'd imagine the thinking is that Stannard would be used in the first half of the race, with each of the remaining four then possible when the race gets more selective.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Peter K has stepped down as Steve Cummings is now in the Rio squad
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    IC. wrote:
    Peter K has stepped down as Steve Cummings is now in the Rio squad

Just saw this. Fair play to lil Pete. Good news for Steve :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Respect to Pete, that must have been a very difficult call to make.
    After seeing Froome doing his ridiculous crossbar pedalling I've changed my mind about GB prospects, and Stevo as a wildcard might help this.
    Always strikes me that the RR should be a team sport - it's a bit like giving the hockey/football/volleyball medal to the highest scorer.
  • Portugal: Costa, André Cardoso, Zé Mendes, Nélson Oliveira.

Oliveira will do the TT as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Quintana has withdrawn - to be replaced by Pantano or Anacona

Zakarin has been excluded as Russians with previous convictions are not welcome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Pantano please.
  • Moraygub
    Moraygub Posts: 9
    RichN95 wrote:
    Quintana has withdrawn - to be replaced by Pantano or Anacona

Zakarin has been excluded as Russians with previous convictions are not welcome.

Is that the case though as i understand it the UCI are of a mind to allow the Russians to compete given that each orginisation are now free to make up their own mind on it.
    Zakarin is not banned but would be if he was to compete under a neutral flag like the Russian whistleblower runner.

Edit : Just noticed that they have specified any athlete having had a doping ban is banned. Personally i think that's wrong as other competitors previously banned are allowed to compete.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moraygub wrote:

Edit : Just noticed that they have specified any athlete having had a doping ban is banned. Personally i think that's wrong as other competitors previously banned are allowed to compete.

It will be thrown out by CAS too. You can't punish someone twice for the same offence.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.