Giro Stage 3- Nijmegen to Arnhem *spoiler*

smithy21
smithy21 Posts: 2,204
edited May 2016 in Pro race
No point posting a profile. Same as yesterday. Fast and flat. 190km.

75km to go. Break has just over 5 mins.

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Echelons!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    J C Peraud out ? Nasty facial injury for an AG2R rider.
  • smithy21
    Yes, Peraud is out.

37.5km. 2 mins for the break.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I was just weighing up my options - sit in the sun for an hour while my boy has his afternoon nap, or sit in front of the TV with the curtains shut to watch today's Giro stage. I quite like a sprint, but I think this thread has just made my mind up for me! Hopefully see you for the last 5km ;)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    It's a mass training ride. They'l be selling tickets next year, come ride with the peloton.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • smithy21
    Johann van Zyl attacks out of the break with 12km to go. That's them done. 8km of snoozing then a few km of action coming up.
  • graeme_s-2
    Sounds like my cue to head for the TV
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    crash at the back.
  • rick_chasey
    Tjallingi in the break again?

*hero*
  • rick_chasey
    Crash. 2 giant down including Arndt.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I switched on with 18km to go and 2 mins gap and thought, "this might be interesting for the break." But the gap tumbled massively within 6k. Holding a bit now, I reckon caught with 500m to go.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Tjallingi in the break again?

*hero*
    Yep, and in blue tomorrow for his efforts.
  • rick_chasey
    GPS isn't accurate.

Gap looks a lot smaller than 50 secs.

More like 20.
  • hammerite
    Ok, maybe caught with 2.5k to go!
  • smithy21
    Easy for Kittel.
  • slim_boy_fat
    No one can get anywhere near him. He didn't even try there. Impressive couple of days for him.
  • hammerite
    Kitten is definitely back. Pulled out a big gap there.
  • graeme_s-2
    Can't see anyone else winning a flat sprint in this Giro - Kittel looks to be in a completely different class
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    That was an epic sprint eh? Just blew Viviani away.

Shame Arnhem is so chuffin' far away
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    Ashley House pulling the party line and borrowing trousers from his boss Stefano.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Can't see anyone else winning a flat sprint in this Giro - Kittel looks to be in a completely different class

He's got 4 stages now in the Giro, but never won in Italy. I think that's right.
  • graeme_s-2
    I think that is right. I don't think he's even ridden a Giro stage in Italy. I saw him win his first Giro stage in Belfast 2 years ago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Wow, Tjalingi's kids could not be more Dutch....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Geniez FdJ lost a minute and half from thje crash and bad wrist - that's a shame

JC Peraud is out
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    3 days of racing in the Netherlands.
    3 pieces of drama in total.
    3 ad breaks from Eurosport at those times.
    Impressive.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Geniez FdJ lost a minute and half from thje crash and bad wrist - that's a shame

JC Peraud is out

Guess who I had backed as large-price, outside bets for the top 3? The jinx strikes again...

(at least in cycling the fallers aren't routinely shot. Any horse I back tends to be lucky to make it home).
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Broken finger for Dillier too.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I thought viviani was unlucky there, whilst he probably wouldn't have been close to getting round kittel he had fought his way into his wheel quite nicely until just before the sprint properly kicked off when he seemed to just lose it by a couple of bike lengths and couldn't get back on terms.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    IMHO the first 3 stages have done nothing to promote the Giro, the riders give the impression of going through the paces sitting off the breakaway crisiing then quickly reeling them back in etc.. I know its popular to start the Giro and TdF outside of the host nation but from the racing perspective at least, it adds little. Now the Giro starts.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I know its popular to start the Giro and TdF outside of the host nation but from the racing perspective at least, it adds little.

Sheffield 2014, Brouwersdam 2015 are two off the top of my head.

Not saying this year has been anything but a steaming pile of muck but to say "it adds little" is a bit disingenuous