how do I get the second click to get fully on to the large chain wheel?

bucklb
bucklb Posts: 296
edited April 2016 in The workshop
Hi

Apologies. I don't know how to phrase this well enought to get it in to a fit state to google :(

I can't get my chain fully on to the large chainwheel (of a double). I can get it on the large chainwheel in the "trimming" position using a single click of the big lever on the "brifter". I can't get it out of the trimming position though as I can't get the second click out of the lever. I'm stuck with the derailleur cage rubbing against the chain. When attempting to get the second click the derailleur is moving out past the chain ring, so I assume the limit screw is OK. I just can't get the derailleur to stay out beyond the chain ring when the lever is released.

I don't know if there's a knack to getting this second click out of the changer (I only encountered this kind of shifter a few weeks back and I've never needed to use the front one in anger) or if there's something not properly set up. I did get a bike fit a week and a half ago where the gears, front and rear, were set up for me so I'd like to think the set up should be ok.

Any suggestions please?

Ta
Bob

Comments

• SME
    SME Posts: 348
    It sounds like either you cable is too tight or the limit screw is too far in. I once had to loosen the Hi limit screw and let off the tension a little on the cable to get the full travel, then started 'fine tuning', to get all the throws and trim settings right.

Takes s little time but worth it. Hope this helps - good luck.
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the limit screw is too far in stopping the shift lever engaging on the second ratchet notch.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    Thanks for the input

I've managed to get the front derailleur to do what I need i.e. sit on the big ring with no rubbing but still able to change between front rings. I seem to have lost both the trim positions but I can easily live without them, especially if I may be moving to flat bar and revisiting the set up yet again.

Cheers
    If you don't have the trim positions you're cable may be quite tight and the limit screws set too far in.