Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Boots for Raceface Chester?

iRavesiRaves Posts: 50
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys. Quick one hopefully.

I have recently upgraded to Raceface Chester cranks but my Raceface boots just don't fit on them.

The Chester is reasonably chunky. They are an alloy crank but I wonder whether the boots for carbon crank might be bigger or something.

Just seems a bit daft that raceface make both crank and boot but it doesn't fit :(

Any intel. Would be appreciated

Posts

  • iRavesiRaves Posts: 50
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure why you even want boots on an alloy crank to be honest!

    Simply because I ride all natural trails and moors. Which are extremely tough on the end of your pedal arm. One ride out and you will be hitting rocks and stuff. Can't be helped cant be avoided.

    I just wanted to keep my new pedal arms looking tidy.

    If you rode trail centres then yeah I see your point but I don't generally go near those places. It's all about the real trails.
  • oodboooodboo Posts: 2,177
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure why you even want boots on an alloy crank to be honest!
    +1
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

    Strava
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure why you even want boots on an alloy crank to be honest!

    Because the OP believes a couple of extra grams in weight is worth it for keeping your crank ends unscraped and undented? If they're just a bit of a tight fit rather than being impossibly tight, try warming them up in some hot water before you push them on. Otherwise, try the ones for carbon cranks. If these turn out to be too loose, get a carbon crankset because you've got the boots already.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • iRavesiRaves Posts: 50
    Giraffoto wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure why you even want boots on an alloy crank to be honest!

    Because the OP believes a couple of extra grams in weight is worth it for keeping your crank ends unscraped and undented? If they're just a bit of a tight fit rather than being impossibly tight, try warming them up in some hot water before you push them on. Otherwise, try the ones for carbon cranks. If these turn out to be too loose, get a carbon crankset because you've got the boots already.

    Finally someone with sense.

    As a mountain biker I don't give a censored about weight. It's irrelevant. If I am buying a new bike then yeah but a carbon crank set is pointless. If I put a small amount of extra water in my camelbak then I have just lost the weight difference. Having or not having crank boots is like having jam on my toast in the morning or not...

    I just want my shiny new cranks to stay shiny and new. :(

    I will buy some carbon and some alloys I will warm the largest ones up if neither fit. Thanks for your help, everyone else smh
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    Fair enough, for me on alloy cranks it doesn't bother me.

    As for weight, if you put the water in the camel;back AND have the boots you still weigh more......but if it's not something that you worry about then that's fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.