Stuck pedals won't come off

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to remove my pedals from the road bike, so I can pop them on the new mountain bike. They've been on a few years and I'm struggling to get them to budge! I've got a 15mm bike spanner and the correct Allen key, I'm turning the correct way (I'm aware that the right pedal is the opposite)
I just can't get any movement, the spanner slips due to the force I'm using.

Any extra tips before I just buy new pedals?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Soak with a decent penetrating oil (like plusgas), add some heat to the crank arm to expand it, get a decent pedal spanner that doesn't open up or rely on just the Allen key.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    (I'm aware that the right pedal is the opposite)
    I just can't get any movement, the spanner slips due to the force I'm using.

Any extra tips before I just buy new pedals?

The right pedal (or just to be really clear the drive side pedal) is normal thread i.e. clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to loosen, so that could be your problem?

I aways put the spanner on with the handle pointing back towards the rear of the bike and push down - same both sides, can't go wrong, plus you can stamp on it if needs be when you get really annoyed...