Fitting a new chainring

SCBronsonCC
SCBronsonCC Posts: 42
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi..

I have a Trance which is running 1 x 11 at the moment but with standard chain ring up front, I have bought a RaceFace narrow wide to fit on the front, 32T.

Is it just a matter of removing the crank with a 10mm allen and then loosening off all the bolts holding the chainring and switching them over?

I have the part here but not sure whether I should do it my self or nip it to a shop?
Seems straight forward if its the same as above.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you need to actually remove the crank, or just take off one ring and fit the other?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not sure, removed the chain then and tried to get the bolts off holding the ring on but not getting far.
    There is a smaller allen bolt on the front and bigger on the back, I seemed to have loosened them but cant seem to get them to separate so I can get the ring off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hold one, undo the other! Hold the bigger one (female) as it has more friction, once the mail is out, push the female out and once all four are out the chainring will fall off!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That is what I done and it was very loose but wouldn't come out.

It was only a 2 mins job so when I have time later I will look at it properly and hopefully get the ring off and fit the new one without having to take the cranks off.
  • Problem solved (I think!)

Couple of the bolts holding it on were stuck so had to get some pliers on them to separate them.
    Managed to just get the chainring off and back on without removing the cranks. Job done :)

Thanks