Trek Fuel EX 8, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, or Felt Edict 5?

reelandtrigger
reelandtrigger Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in MTB beginners
So I am looking at getting back into the sport since I purchased a Camber Comp 4 years ago, got injured, and never had the chance to use it so I sold it.

I am torn between three bikes and looking for some input from those of you experienced.

At the $3K price point I am between the Trek Fuel EX 8 29er, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29, and the Felt Edict 5.

Any experts have any input into these three vs talking to a dealer who obviously belives the bike they carry is the best?

Appears the Trek and Specialized have better components than the Felt, however, I really do not know.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Could you post links to the bikes?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I don't like the way the Trek's ride, the ABP rear suspension always feels very 'mushy' to me (others say the same), I think it's a love it or hate it thing.

the Felt has a poor fork at this price point and that would rule it out for me/

That leaves the Spesh...which I would also take over the Trek anyway as I think the Rev is a better fork than the Performance Fox, though the new Fit4 damper is much better than previous CTD offerings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Definitely the Stumpy. It has the best frame and fork of the three.
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Ridden the Trek Ex8 and the Stumpy as previous bikes, think it's more about your ride style tbh between the two. I'd go for these over the felt, test ride both if you can.
  • Thanks everyone who took the time to chime in.

After careful consideration I ended up with the Trek Fuel EX 8, added some XPEDO SPRY pedals as well as converted to tubeless. Because I like gadgets I installed a Garmin Edge 25. So far so good...looking forward to really getting it out there!
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Nice mate.