Loose / wobbly pedals (not crank)

Andyn11
Andyn11 Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of standard plastic pedals on my bike that are really loose and has alot of play between the actual pedal and the bolt that holds it on. I was wondering if there is a way to fix this

I do plan on upgrading the pedals when I have the cash thought I'd go for something from eBay since iam not full on with the mtb and have limited funds but will be getting a mtb style of pedal with a wide platform

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    No, you need a new pair, half decent (adequate) MTB pedals can be had for well under £10 from eBay.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There may be a cap on the end of the pedal you can remove to access the bearings, if you can you need to undo the locknut, tighten the cone a bit and then retighten the locknut, this can be a fiddle with no access to both, so you end up guessing where to leave the cone so that as the locknut tighten the cone ends up with the right preload, it can take a few tries!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Andyn11
    Thanks guys think I'll wait a week or 2 and see what's on eBay
  • Andyn11
    Tightened up the pedals and they're not wobbling anymore ty for advice

Still need new pedals though these plastic ones are trash... Now all I need to do is fight with the left as it's not wanting to budge off the crank
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a reverse thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Depends on what you want to spend as you can get a pair of very nice wellgo mg1 pedals for 30 quid on eBay or some wellgo v8 copies for even less.
  • Andyn11
    cooldad wrote:
    It's a reverse thread.

I know about the reverse thread but it just ain't budging goni get some heat on it when iam back at my bike shed

Seen a few good pedals set to bidding might stick in a last minute bid if I can
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Using a decent long pedal spanner?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andyn11
    cooldad wrote:
    Using a decent long pedal spanner?

I've moved it a bit but still fighting with it... My neighbour has a proper pedal spanner iam sure so iam gona give that a bash today

Despitely trying to get it fixed for the weekend as iam going to Callander and have found a few trails on Google so hopefully have the bike working and the gopro on aswell
  • Andyn11
    All fixed :) with thanks to my hybrid bike donating it's pedals for the weekend

Bit of heat on the crank done the trick and jebus the thread looked minging and after I seen it I wasn't surprised it wasn't wanting to budge but cleaned up good with a wire brush and WD40 then a good helping of lithium grease

Thank you for all help and input much appreciated

all ready for the weekend away a bit further north in sunny Scotland WHOOP WHOOP!