Main holiday before London to Cambridge ride

Missybiker
Missybiker Posts: 73
I am a social rider who simply grins and says hello to everyone I see whenever I'm on my bike. I read all the cycling mags and like to pretend I'm doing hi intensity training because I occasionally get puffed out. Ive never understood the need for rest day because it's just a joy to be out and about. Anyway, I've signed on for the London to Cambridge ride on 3 July. (This is a big deal for me, as the most I've ridden is 48 miles. I ride everyday 3-10 miles although I try and do 20-40 mile group rides at the weekend. That's more or less my training plan. Oh did I mention I like food... Am a bit of a chunky monkey (12lbs overweight) but I am very happy with my body (although I realise I would be quicker if I lost those pounds....) Just realised I have my 2 week holiday just before my L2C ride. I get back 7 days before the ride. I won't have access to a bike but will swim and walk everyday. I WILL put on weight. Will this mess up my general fitness, should I just ride as much as I can in the week of the ride? Any suggestion ? Thanks....

Comments

• nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Whatever you do, DON'T ride as much as you can when you get back from holiday. Any fitness you gain won't be apparent in time for event and you'll just fatigue yourself.

DO go for a couple of loosening rides though, nothing too intense but just reminding your body what the bike feels like for an hour.
  • Oh! I hadn't thought about that, sounds like my normal rides around the block will do me more good than some longer rides. Thanks for that! Am going to try and Do some decent walks whilst I am away
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had two weeks in Florida with the family eating drink and doing nothing then two days after getting back jetted off to Chatel on the French Swizz border so uber hilly, to make matters worth I went with the best climber from my cycling friends, its was pure hell I could taste every steak, burger and chicken wing I'd eaten the previous two weeks and I was hellishly slow.

It also pissed down with rain the whole time and the place we stayed was literally on the top of the border crossing so every ride out involved a steep long climb back.

In short you'll be fine enjoy your holiday and better yet you get to remember every moment on the ride.

:-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Hi itboffin

Good advice - it must be my northern working class upbringing, always feel guilty - guilty about being a pig, and guilty about letting anyone down! I will take your advice oh wise one.... 8)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    L2C is a pretty easy 100k; mostly flat, and often with a tailwind. If you're not chasing a time, you'll be fine.