Tight Sram gripshift

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Just bought a second hand bike for my kid

Islabike beinn 24

It has Sean 3.0 gripshift shifters. 7 gears

Changing down to wee cogs is easy but going back up the way it's really tight!... Even I struggle.

I changed the gear cable but no joy. The shifter click fine when the cable is not connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    check may be somewhere the cable bent/nicked
    Remove cable from rear mech and check movement, push geantly with your thumb and see it moves freely on the cassette range, some cheapo systems are just crap
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • mcowan77
    Herdwick wrote:
    check may be somewhere the cable bent/nicked
    Remove cable from rear mech and check movement, push geantly with your thumb and see it moves freely on the cassette range, some cheapo systems are just crap

Thanks I'll try that. I replaced the cable but not the outlets. Dec not the shifter as it clicks fine when under no tension
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Just inner cable won't do as most times are both inner and outer rusty worn, better do both and be done with it, also wear occurs because of friction and then you got a thick plastick paste sticking on the new inner.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SRAM MRX are notorious for this....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcowan77
    Thanks

Anyone recommend a trigger shifter?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    get on ebay and look for a Deore or Deore LX, 7 or 8 speed will both work on a 7 speed (just with an 8 speed you get a redundant click)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcowan77
    thanks

Ordered trigger shifters
    The Rookie wrote:
    get on ebay and look for a Deore or Deore LX, 7 or 8 speed will both work on a 7 speed (just with an 8 speed you get a redundant click)