Hole in hydraulic lever

scoi
scoi Posts: 103
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I noticed today that there are tiny pin holes on the caliper of my brakes (avid juicy 3), on the front one when I squeeze it a small amount of liquid comes out, I mean just enough to smear on my finger.

As it's on both its there by design and not damage, I'm curious to know what it is and if leaking is a concern.

I had the wheel off today and had to pry open the pads, the brakes are rubbing slightly. Not sure if this is connected to the leakage.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's the air vent hole behind the diaphragm that allows expansion and contraction and lowering of the fluid level as the lads wear, you shouldn't have brake fluid coming out or it means the diaphragm is leaking, however it's not unknown for water to get in and then come out when riding on wet days, loosen the clamp and point the hole down, then use a pin GENTLY to encourage an fluid out, do not pierce the diaphragm with it, just move it in and out the hole and it can draw water out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.