What happened to the thread about touring on an old mixte frame?

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited March 2016 in Tour & expedition
I replied to a post only to find that it had been deleted in the meantime.I don't know why, but if the OP is around then this is what I would have said.

If you're sensible you shouldn't really be adding more than 15 kgs to the weight on the bike. The frame probably isn't any more likely to fail in Corsica or Sardegna than in London (unless you decide to do some impromptu off-road detours).

I must admit I'd be more concerned about the wheels than the frame. The roads in Corsica and Sardegna are generally in reasonable nick and I guess that your bike won't take more punishment than riding around London, but if you do have a problem you could find yourself a long way from the nearest decent bike shop. In Corsica there's a bike shop in Bastia and another in Ajaccio and a guy in Saint Florent who might be able to fix a wheel —and that's pretty much it. I'd consider getting some new wheels built: Spa Cycles will do you a very good pair of wheels for under £200.

I don't know how fit you are, but Corsica and Sardegna are pretty hilly, so I'd consider a cassette with a 32T or 34T cog (that's what I'm going to be riding with!).

The Marathon Pluses are maybe a good idea for London, but I'd consider saving yourself a fair chunk of weight by getting a pair of decent-quality kevlar-reinforced tyres.

I don't know what route you're planning through Corsica, but the west coast road is definitely better than the route nationale along the east coast.

Comments