Bb30 and grease in carbon

Johnny147
Johnny147 Posts: 7
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Bb30 bearing in carbon shell

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi all ,does anyone know if I should grease the bearings in a Supersix evo Carbon bottom bracket shell or put in dry.ive heard grease can damage carbon but wondered if dry fitting would be tight and creak maybe any help on subject would be brill thanks....

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    grease does not damage cf, a lot of nonsense is posted on the subject

use a waterproof/marine grease
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    As above, grease won't damage the frame.

If you don't grease the bearings the chances of creaking will be much much higher.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Johnny147 wrote:
    Bb30 bearing in carbon shell

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi all ,does anyone know if I should grease the bearings in a Supersix evo Carbon bottom bracket shell or put in dry.ive heard grease can damage carbon but wondered if dry fitting would be tight and creak maybe any help on subject would be brill thanks....

Are you asking if you should grease the cups before you press them into the frame?

I've just pressed the cups into my super six evo dry. From reading around, the general consensus seems to be you should press the cups in dry unless you have a problemattic BB. Grease can be used to give short-term relief from a creaky BB, but isn't a good long term solution. Loctite is another option, but again only if you have a problem.