Sunrace Cassettes 11-42 10sp

eric_draven
eric_draven Posts: 1,192
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone used a Sunrace cassette yet 11-42 10sp yet,and what they think of them,as i want to get rid of my expander ring on my current cassette,the missing ring further down the range does my head in,to much of a jump for my liking,i was thinking of one of these,instead of splashing out on a full 1x11 xt set up

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    went straight to 11sp from my 10sp with expander.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a read a few good reviews, good price and lighter than an XT plus expander (and if you need a new cassette they are a hell of a lot cheaper).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had one. Worked nicely but seemed to eat chains.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Where can you get it? online?
    Seems good alternative to expanders and way cheaper than any 1x11 set
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    found it at
    cranknuts
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I'd seen them on ebay,but 1st saw one last year at Peaty's Bike Bonanza at Sheffield last back end,you can get the MS3 for £46 compared to going 11sp at £170
  • Herdwick
    Definently cheaper, and almost as good!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    New Marin Nail Trail has one of these so must be good!
  • rockmonkeysc
    mark_fogel wrote:
    New Marin Nail Trail has one of these so must be good!

Why would that make it good. The Nail Trail certainly isn't anything special.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I have one (the MS3 version, with a 32T NW chainring, on 26" full susser) - I installed it before going to Bikepark wales recently, as my first attempt at 1x10. It went straight on, no fussing with longer B-screws etc... Performed very well, too. Shifting was good and consistent, and nice not to have any big gaps or jumps in the gear progression (a common complaint of friends using expander rings). Managed four full climbs, and never felt like I needed an extra gear.

It's quite heavy (best part of a pound, compared to about 390g for XT cassette plus an aluminium expander), but I've seen enough pics of ruined aluminium expander rings to think that all steel sprockets is no bad thing ;)
  • The Rookie
    The MX3 is quite a lot lighter and can be found for not much more money than the MS3.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-MX3-W ... P6b5Jd5FZQ
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639

doesn't sound good then if it easily wears out was looking at buying one but not sure if I need anything more than 36t around here as its mostly light trails and more xc.

just about to replace a worn slx cassette which I think has had about 2500 miles on it, crc are doing 45% off shimano so a new cassette and kmc chain came to 36 pound.
  • rockmonkeysc
    swod1 wrote:

doesn't sound good then if it easily wears out was looking at buying one but not sure if I need anything more than 36t around here as its mostly light trails and more xc.

just about to replace a worn slx cassette which I think has had about 2500 miles on it, crc are doing 45% off shimano so a new cassette and kmc chain came to 36 pound.

The cassette itself didn't wear badly but while I had it my chains lasted a lot less than usual. Two chains, the same ones I always use.
    There may have been another cause and it could have been coincide.
    I sold the cassette with loads on life left in it.
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    Presumably these will work ok with an X0 Type 2 medium cage derailleur? Anything else that needs to be modified or changed?
  • The Rookie
    The only issue with running stock cages is that the upper jockey wheel location isn't perfect, that said my (admittedly Shimano) 9 speed XTR works perfectly with a 40T expander (there are other issues with it which is why it's not fitted right now), many report improved shifting with the expander specific cages but that could relate to being used with a 42T..

Maybe limit it to the 11-40 if you want to be sure.

The medium cage length is fine, in fact a short should be fine as well (my XTR is very short cage!)
  • Don B
    The Rookie wrote:
    The only issue with running stock cages is that the upper jockey wheel location isn't perfect, that said my (admittedly Shimano) 9 speed XTR works perfectly with a 40T expander (there are other issues with it which is why it's not fitted right now), many report improved shifting with the expander specific cages but that could relate to being used with a 42T..

Maybe limit it to the 11-40 if you want to be sure.

The medium cage length is fine, in fact a short should be fine as well (my XTR is very short cage!)
    Hmm, i think i'd need the 42, as i find myself using the granny gear at least a few times on a spin.

I'm also thinking should i wait for the SRAM NX groupset and buy that...though the XO gear on the bike already is better quality.
  • I've been using the mx3 for a few weeks now. My long cage slx shadow + mech needed a small b screw adjustment and I drop a cog if I pedal back on the 42. This hasn't happened in real use though.
    It's made a big difference on big days out in the wild. I don't have to worry about burning out my legs.
  • Don B
    What front chainring are you using it with? I just bought an MS3 11-42 cassette on bike-discount.de for €40 so will see how it works out.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I'm using a 32T Superstar IO with my MS3 - no problems. Tempted to try a 34T oval when it wears out - a few of my mates have tried the new ovals and swear by them.
  • Don B
    Great, i've bought a 32t Superstar oval chainring too
  • Don B
    Only €40 plus delivery from Bikediscount...i got one, theyre out of stock again, but back soon

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sunr ... wg_id-1543
  • Don B
    Arrived today in a few days from bike-discount.de
    Looks 'ruddy huge compared to front chainring

IMG-20160406-WA0002_zpsqso3ivcy.jpeg

20160406_214734_zps3hfbk4u1.jpg