Tyres needed for Isle of Wight and Coast to coast trips

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Morning All,

We have planned a weekend in May on Isle of Wight and also 3-4day Coast to coast (Whitehaven to Scarborough) in July.

I need some good fast rolling tyres (26") for my Anthem X2.

Originally had Schwalbe Racing Ralph, quite fast (I was happy with them) but I got punctures too often on them and they don't last long (I used two sets last year !!).

Currently have Bontrager XR4 2.35 - well they are massive and not quite fast rolling....but strong.

Therefore, what is your recommendation here please ??

- fast rolling 26"
- strong enough to run tubeless (I converted rims with stans and gorilla tape);
- still providing good grip;
- what width do you recommend ?

Thank You,

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Id still say Ralphs personally, light and fast rolling and I have no problems running tubeless, I usually run a Ron up front for a bit more bite.

Otherwise either a Maxxis Aspen or the Ardent Race.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Id still say Ralphs personally, light and fast rolling and I have no problems running tubeless, I usually run a Ron up front for a bit more bite.

Otherwise either a Maxxis Aspen or the Ardent Race.

Cheers Rookie,

Yes, I was happy with Ralphs but they are wery thin (sides) and very easy to cut through....but fast I must say.

Will have a look at Aspen or Ardent.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have an Aspen ready for summer, sidewall definitely feels more substantial than a Ralph, though total weight is similar.

I wouldn't use the Ardent for that, but the Ardent race (yes a different tyre!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Snakeskin version of Ralph's? A little heavier but much tougher and easy tubless inflation.
  • kinioo
    Dan_xz wrote:
    Snakeskin version of Ralph's? A little heavier but much tougher and easy tubless inflation.

You mean, something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod52620

C.