Sarcoma. If you know this word you'll know what I mean

Twentytoo
Twentytoo Posts: 34
Hi all. This is a bit random and I've joined last week and replied to a few posts so I build a little credibility before asking.
Sarcoma is a tumour that can appear anywhere on the body. (It has sub-categories i.e.. Desmoid or GIST to name 2) that has a connection to muscle. There is no medical knowledge on what causes them. I'm wondering, given the connection to muscle if any other cyclists have developed this tumour. As a serious every day cyclist I have developed one that grew to 8cm. Looking for my own answers I stopped cycling for 12 weeks and it has inexplicably begun to shrink. The location of the tumour would suggest no connection but I'd just be interested to know if, in this wider community there is someone else out there with the same issue. If you've got this far thanks for reading and I know it's sensitive (I've had to pluck up the courage to post this) so a PM if you have any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• My son had a Ewing's sarcoma (and my cousin's son also is being treated - scary given the incidence is meant to be only 2-in-million) - but Ewing's is an aggressive bone cancer most common in teenagers.

I'm sorry to hear about yours - a Desmoid sarcoma? I've not heard of it before but then I didn't know Ewing's before it was everything. Good luck with getting the information you are after.

My son, 5.5 years on, seems to be fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • My son had a Ewing's sarcoma (and my cousin's son also is being treated - scary given the incidence is meant to be only 2-in-million) - but Ewing's is an aggressive bone cancer most common in teenagers.

I'm sorry to hear about yours - a Desmoid sarcoma? I've not heard of it before but then I didn't know Ewing's before it was everything. Good luck with getting the information you are after.

My son, 5.5 years on, seems to be fine.

Thanks for the reply. The rarity makes it difficult to find people in a similar position with a similar lifestyle.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I've worked in a Sarcoma unit, and to my knowledge there's not been any correlation between exercise and developing a Sarcoma.

The reverse may be true - there are studies into regular exercise reducing development of Sarcomas
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3737919/