New cassette woes

zntrx
zntrx Posts: 27
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just had a new wheel built on an XT hub for my 9 speed Bizango.

I bought an XT cassette for the new wheel, the stock old wheel has an HG400 cassette (still servicable), both are 11-34.

The new wheel works fine with the HG400 cassette, but I get pretty bad chain rub on the XT cassette (I've not tried the old wheel with the XT cassette).

The chain is an SRAM 971.

I thought cassettes were interchangable - I guess I was wrong, what am I missing?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Some minor adjustment may often be required.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So new wheel and new cassette? Will need the gears indexing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Why did you replace the cassette, was it worn? It's always advised that you get a new chain when you get a new cassette.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain rub where?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    And I wonder which XT cassette it is?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • zntrx
    Why did you replace the cassette, was it worn?

This way I have a spare wheel, my intention was that I could switch wheels rather than tyres (I use the bike for commuting with marathon pluses which are a PITA to change when not commutting).

It is reasonably worn but still servicable (not jumping and changing is still passable).
    Chain rub where?
    I think it is rubbing on the cassette itself, does it in all gears.
    And I wonder which XT cassette it is?
    New cassette 11/34
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-m770-9-speed-cassette/?sku=5360258683

Old cassette 11/34
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-alivio-9-speed-cassette/

New hub
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-wheels/shimano-fh-m756-xt-disc-6-bolt-rear-freehub-32-hole-black
  • 97th choice
    As suggested, index the gears first

Also, that's an 11speed compatible hub. Did you use the spacer when you fitted your new cassette?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • zntrx
    Also, that's an 11speed compatible hub. Did you use the spacer when you fitted your new cassette?

No - no spacer was supplied with either the hub or cassette. Is one required and if so what size?
  • 97th choice
    1.85mm spacer required.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • zntrx
    OK, presumably this is my biggest problem! Is it a high or low spacer (i.e. put on before the cassette or before the lockring)?

Thanks...
  • nicklouse
    As the hub is listed ax 8/9 spd there will not be any spacer supplied or needed.

Yes it all should work together.

But if your chain was not replaced at the same time it may be worn just too much to mess nicely. But as the cassettes wears into the patten the chain needs it should get better.

Or just change the chain. Nothing better than using new with new.
  • 97th choice
    zntrx wrote:
    OK, presumably this is my biggest problem! Is it a high or low spacer (i.e. put on before the cassette or before the lockring)?

Thanks...

My mistake, clicked on the wrong hub when on CRC website.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    Also note that shimano "MTB" cassettes from 8spd to 11spd fit on the same body. They have just positioned the bigger cogs closer to the spokes.
  • zntrx
    Looking at it again and it seems it is chain wear (& that the old cassette is pretty badly worn).

What I had though was rubbing was in fact the chain jumping out of the sprockets of the new cassette, guess the old cassette is worn with the chain such that this doesn't happen.

New chain ordered, thanks for the help...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can't tell rubbing from skipping under load......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.