Peeing whilst training

neilr4
neilr4 Posts: 161
Hi,

Strange question......

I've recently adjusted my endurance training to training in zones and with most of my training now being done at a lower intensity I find myself having to stop a lot more often to take a pee whilst out cycling!!

Before it was on very rare occasions that I would have to stop at all but since I've been training at a lower intensity I'm pis*ing like a horse sometimes once every 6 miles or so, the problem being that it's not always convenient to stop to pee in built up areas!!

Anyone else experience anything like this? Hopefully it is just a phase that will pass (pun not intended!)

I do drink 2.5 litres of fluid per day but I seem to pee more frequently whilst cycling than during inactivity.

Neil.
'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The cold can lead to this. Seeing as you are riding at a lower intensity it would make sense this is the possible cause. Try layering up more to keep your core warmer and see if that helps.

Also, what do you drink before and during the ride? Too much caffeine makes you pee.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Too much of any fluid makes you pee.

You are either drinking far too much fluid unnecessarily, or there is something wrong with your bladder.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Every 6 miles would have me worried - that's every 20-30 minutes. You should be able to ride for a couple of hours without needing to stop (assuming you went before you started your ride).

2.5 litres of fluid a day doesn't seem much - if you're drinking that day-in day-out do you find you have to go as frequently whilst not riding?

If it's just whilst you're riding then think about what you've changed - intensity - shouldn't have a huge effect - you'll be sweating less, but then your fluid intake should reduce to accomodate that - position - more probable - if you're more upright then your sitting position has changed, making life less comfortable for your bladder ...

But seriously - if it's every 1/2 hr and you're not constantly drinking from a hose then go and see a doctor ...
  • redvision
    Imposter wrote:

You are either drinking far too much fluid unnecessarily, or there is something wrong with your bladder.

Not necessarily. As I said above, cold weather also causes this
    http://m.indiatimes.com/health/healthyl ... 42340.html
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    redvision wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Thanks for the article from India Times. It might be relevant in one or two cases, but if it were universally true, then the roads would be lined with cyclists peeing into hedges on a cold Sunday morning - and I'm pretty sure they aren't.

Like I say, there's got to be something else going on...
  • redvision
    Imposter wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Thanks for the article from India Times. It might be relevant in one or two cases, but if it were universally true, then the roads would be lined with cyclists peeing into hedges on a cold Sunday morning - and I'm pretty sure they aren't.

Like I say, there's got to be something else going on...

Lol, I know, as I was posting I was chuckling tbh.
    Either way though, it is a likely cause.
    I know when its cold and I'm riding, if I am not wearing the correct clothing or am riding relatively slowly, I feel the cold and then, in turn, feel the need to pee often.
    I actually saw the Dr as on a club ride a couple of years ago I was stopping every 20 mins, yet wasn't drinking any more than normal. Dr explained his theory about the cold and a urine test showed everything was fine & proved him right.
    To this day I occasionally find this happens but I try to make sure I'm properly dressed for the conditions now.

OP it might be worth going to see the Dr just to be on the safe side though.
  • Not drinking coffee before your rides are you? I find having a coffee first thing in the morning makes me pee more often. That combined with cold could be the reason.
  • If you ride at a lesser intensity you sweat less. If you sweat less then you pee more if you continue drinking the same.
    And if it's increased frequency whilst cycling only and not whilst off the bike it's less likely to be a pathological problem.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Thanks for the replies!!

Yes some interesting points suggested.....

I do tend to drink 3 cups of coffee before I go cycling so have since cut back. Core temperature I feel is ok, I normally feel the cold more than others so I`m used to wearing an extra layer.

The excessive peeing become more noticable since I`ve been riding at lower intenstity.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    alcohol and caffeine are diuretics, but if you are used to high caffeine consumption it wont make that much difference. I think its a cold/slow riding thing. Unless you are having the urge to pee without much output?

Its a bit like swimming, you can't pee when swimming hard, but can at lower intensity.