white bread before training

joaop
joaop Posts: 38
Hello cyclists!!

Today In the middle of a intense training session I felt my stomach heavy and churning, had to easy ride to recover and feel better.

Could it be my breakfeast ? I ate 2 slices of white bread (banna jelly + yellow cheese), do you know some better option than white bread for breakfeast ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Assuming this is a serious question - is this the first time it has happened? And how soon did you ride after eating?
  • joaop
    Imposter wrote:
    Assuming this is a serious question - is this the first time it has happened? And how soon did you ride after eating?

Sorry about my english, it's a serious question.

It's the first time it happened, I ate 5:45, 6:15 started riding, 6:50 started to push harder and felt the problem.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    edited February 2016
    Different people react in different ways to eating before riding. The worst that happens to me if i eat too much, too close to riding is i feel sluggish and slow. Others can have stomach cramps and even in one case vomit. See how different foods and different time gaps affect you.

I tend to have muesli or pancakes with bananas for breakfast when riding. Along with a fruit smoothie, as it works well for me.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    if i ate bread with jelly and cheese my stomach would be heaving even without exercise, it sounds an awful combination!

oats with skim milk and some fruit added for flavour - berries, banana, raisins, whatever you prefer - add some bran flakes too for some extra crunchy flavour
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would have thought the combo of banana jelly and cheese would more likely be the cause.
    Try a full English next time. :wink:
  • joaop
    banna jelly + yellow cheese sounds awful combination, but it tastes so good!

About fruits, I preffer homemade juices, (orange + beet + lemon) or (papaya + orange) or just orange juice.

I'll try this one stead white bread, it's called tapioca

Receitas-de-tapioca.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Like the other posters I find the idea of banana jelly and yellow cheese stomach turning without the exercise. I don't even know what banana jelly is. Is it jelly as in American for jam? Or the wobbly stuff you get in a trifle? Either way it still sounds odd...

Where in the world are you? Those tapioca pancake things look intriguing, but are they not desserts?

Over here in the (mainly) wet and windy UK I have porridge or some kind of muesli / cereal mixture with milk most mornings. If I'm planning a big ride, toast and marmalade afterwards too.

I never go out doing intense intervals after breakfast though. Or any other time of the day come to think of it :D
  • joaop
    keef66 wrote:
    Like the other posters I find the idea of banana jelly and yellow cheese stomach turning without the exercise. I don't even know what banana jelly is. Is it jelly as in American for jam? Or the wobbly stuff you get in a trifle? Either way it still sounds odd...

It's from a local farmer, homemade stuff.
    keef66 wrote:
    Where in the world are you? Those tapioca pancake things look intriguing, but are they not desserts?

I'm in Brazil, those tapiocas are a fever here, most people who goes tot he gym eat it.
    keef66 wrote:
    Over here in the (mainly) wet and windy UK I have porridge or some kind of muesli / cereal mixture with milk most mornings. If I'm planning a big ride, toast and marmalade afterwards too.

I never go out doing intense intervals after breakfast though. Or any other time of the day come to think of it :D

Sounds good, I just think milk is bad for me, I dont like the taste, and there is a lot of other problems (dont want to go out of the topic).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would normally wait 2 hours after a main meal, if I was planning on doing any high intensity work...
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Cycling isnt like running. 2 bits of bread wont make a difference even if it was only half hour before your ride unless you dont usually eat that and your stomach doesnt agree with it. I eat sandwiches on the bike with no problems what so ever.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    A couple of years back i went regularly to see a nutritionist with the aim of losing weight a bit of weight through a healthier diet.
    One of the things i had to avoid as much as possible was bread, especially before exercise. I can't recall the exact reason, it wasn't to do with bread being bad for you, it was something to do with the fibre and starch levels but i can't remember exactly what.
    One thing i do remember and still find to this day though, if i have bread before i train i feel sluggish.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I actually find bread and particularly white bread to be quite energy sapping. to the extent that I don't eat white bread any more. Brown and wholegrain is better but I think some people do have more of an intolerance to wheat based products without necessarily being gluten intolerant. the only way to find out is to get tested an/or keep a food diary.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Are you referring to the English or American version of "jelly"?

English jelly = American jello
    American jelly = English jam

??
  • joaop
    Singleton wrote:
    Are you referring to the English or American version of "jelly"?

English jelly = American jello
    American jelly = English jam

??

In Brazil we just call it jelly, for you guys it's American jelly.
  • I've always been led to believe that white bread is a no no
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I find that 2 poached eggs on 2 pieces of brown toast suits me far better than porridge on a long ride.

but everyone is different.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I don't eat anything less than two hours before a ride and if it's an early morning ride I don't eat anything at all.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Cycling isnt like running. 2 bits of bread wont make a difference even if it was only half hour before your ride

Depends on the person and the type of food, not everyone has a perfect digestive system. What he's described sounds like indigestion.

I've experimented with eating before my morning ride and found I just end up feeling sluggish. So either sugar water or nothing for me. If I had 30 minutes I'd consider some bananas and raisins - definitely nothing heavy like cheese.
  • Unless I can wait 2 - 3 hours after having a meal before training I would do the workout first then have my breakfast. That said, if it's an easy recovery ride then eating 30 minutes before my ride / workout isn't an issue.

Doesn't white bread have more sugar than wholemeal / Rye type breads? I try not to eat white bread these days if I can help it.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    nigeldoyle wrote:
    Doesn't white bread have more sugar than wholemeal / Rye type breads? I try not to eat white bread these days if I can help it.

Makes no real difference, it all does the same thing. White bread is simply more processed, so has even less nutrient value and higher GI.

I'd suggest the OP avoids solid food before training in the morning, start the day with water. And if milk doesn't agree with you then I'd avoid drinking it at all.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    White bread is refined carbohydrates which is more likely to cause stomach issues to those with a sensitivity to carbs. Brown bread would be a better option to try
  • relk
    relk Posts: 21
    You ate junk. Stay with a proper porridge and you should be fine. White bread can make you feel bloated and some people are not taking gluten well.