A choice between 2

2»

Comments

• Rockshox, more expensive and probably better quality but also have replacement parts available which afaik are hard to get hold of for Suntour. Suntour make some decent ones though. See edit in previous post too btw.
  • g10
    g10 Posts: 22
    Thanks for all your help!

Think I'm sorted now. All things considered, I'm back to the Boardman Team HT 650B @ £637.

Of the bikes on my shortlist it shares the better of the forks.. and I don't have any problems with the brakes or gearing from my MX Comp - and I'm sure the Team HT 650B uses the same.

If I can't acquire one I'd go for the 2015 Talon 1 OR save up a little extra cash and get the Giant Talon 27.5 0 2016 which seems superior - at least it does with my limited knowledge & understanding.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The 27.5 O is almost a grand. And in September it will be discounted to make way for the 2017 models. So if you are going to save up better to wait until then. Keep checking out Paul's cycles as well. A grand will get you a carbon Scott sometimes
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • g10
    Don't forget the 15% off at my LBS
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    g10 wrote:
    Don't forget the 15% off at my LBS

Ahh yes forgot about that. That said the talon 0 probably weighs the same as the discounted boardman team. Being a giant it will have a cracking frame but I can remember reading a review where it was slated for having a steep head angle, long stem and narrow bars. But that's possibly a product of lazy journalism rather than there being anything wrong with the bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • g10
    LBS have a Giant Talon 0 in stock. Not my size, but I'll pop in this week for a look at it. I've read a similar article about the bars etc. If it looks/feels odd.. I now know that the Boardman Team is my alternative.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't want to confuse you more, but the Talon 0 is poorly specced for £1100 - I wouldn't buy one even with plenty of money knocked off. The Fox Fork cannot compete with most Rockshox motion Control offerings for this money, not very adjustable and being Fox, it pinches money away from elsewhere. The mainly Deore kit is ok, but still below par for the cash, and the rest is Giant's own heavy connect equipment. I'd take a look at the OnOne Parkwood if wanting to spend about a grand:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPW27GX1 ... #customise

The head angle is a little slacker for more stability (if that appeals). The spec is much better (you need to use the drop down menus at the side to see it), the RS Revelation having full low speed compression adjustment on the fork. Add in SRAMs GX 11 speed groupset, nice wide and quality rims, good folding tyres and quality kit (and ride to match) then I can confidently say this is a much better option.