Shit, Small Races 2016

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Vuelta a Asturias responsible for at least 2 pieces of excellent news: Hugh Carthy winning overall (1st British winner) and Betacur winning a race.
    http://www.esciclismo.com/especiales/vuelta_asturias/
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Vuelta a Asturias responsible for at least 2 pieces of excellent news: Hugh Carthy winning overall (1st British winner) and Betacur winning a race.

Betancur has now won two races in the last couple of weeks.

What chance a Giro stage win?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Joelsim wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Betancur has now won two races in the last couple of weeks.

What chance a Giro stage win?

Never mind Fat Boy slim, my man Gilbert is not even on the start list.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Today is the first day of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque and I put the TV on to find that Eurosport are showing it Live.
    That Idiot Kirby first tells us that, that field with white stuff on it is covered in lime to break the soil down. (curious that is the wrong time of season to do that on clay)
    I then realise the hill they started to climb is familiar because I was there in 1994 for the TTT stage of Tour de France and the white stuff is in fact "Chalk Soil" of the White Cliffs of Calais.
    He then compounds his Idiotic mistake by telling us that he used to live in the Pas-de-Calais region and knows the area well.
    The TV has gone on Mute again.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    deejay wrote:
    Today is the first day of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque and I put the TV on to find that Eurosport are showing it Live.
    That Idiot Kirby first tells us that, that field with white stuff on it is covered in lime to break the soil down. (curious that is the wrong time of season to do that on clay)
    I then realise the hill they started to climb is familiar because I was there in 1994 for the TTT stage of Tour de France and the white stuff is in fact "Chalk Soil" of the White Cliffs of Calais.
    He then compounds his Idiotic mistake by telling us that he used to live in the Pas-de-Calais region and knows the area well.

Yeah, I picked up on that, too.
    Kirby: So many words, so little meaning.
    Should have sent him to Azerbaidjan.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    deejay wrote:

should be a Bouhanni fest, no?
  • blazing_saddles
    inseine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Yes, but someone forgot to tell Bryan Coquard. :wink:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    inseine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

To be honest someone should have told Geoffrey Soupe that he needs to stop the lead out when he has two dimension data guys on his wheel
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    imatfaal wrote:
    To be honest someone should have told Geoffrey Soupe that he needs to stop the lead out when he has two dimension data guys on his wheel

Especially as they aren't even in the race.
  • imatfaal
    andyp wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Especially as they aren't even in the race.

Direct Energy even :-)
    Second day running fastest sprinter loses
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    The last 5km of that were absolutely crazy - great camera shots from above the front of the bunch too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imatfaal
    The last 5km of that were absolutely crazy - great camera shots from above the front of the bunch too.

That circuit at the end seemed designed to leave riders plastered over the road furniture - and agree on the overhead shots which illustrate the amazing relative speeds when the sprinters get going
  • imatfaal
    Sad and worrying news from Luxembourg

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... ent-224135
  • blazing_saddles
    Very nasty looking crash involving the camera bike in the 4 Days of Dunkerque, today.
    Riders on the attack followed the moto off course, then didn't see the bike pull onto a verge.
    At least one rider piled into it full speed.
    What made it worse was that they were on the third lap of the same circuit.
    Clearly rider error but it didn't stop Kirby from trying to blame the pilot.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    inseine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Nice seeing Bouhanni getting owned in a race he probably expected to dominate. Coquard's sprint yesterday was superb, not given a time gap though despite being closer to 2 secs than 1 sec clear on the line.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Great riding by Coquard - and a great interview at the end - he understands the French media and their wants!

Not sure who the stage winner is but proper Belgian cycling - he did top 10 at the Tour of Britain last year and was just behind Poels on Hartside Fell - so he must go up a couple of levels - Wanty?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Nice seeing Bouhanni getting owned in a race he probably expected to dominate. Coquard's sprint yesterday was superb, not given a time gap though despite being closer to 2 secs than 1 sec clear on the line.

It was a "Bouhanni fest" in the same way that you could say that bike racing is an "it's the taking part that counts fest"...
    Glad to see that others are coming around to the "Anyone But Bouhanni" stance: and other French riders, at that.
    He had a perfect lead-out with 5 teammates at the 1km banner. Soupe gave him a ideal last pull and a motivational mouthful of French giddy-up as Bouhanni sprinted past - for fourth... Coquard has been awesome. Hope he's got this form and then some, at the Tour...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Tour de Picardie starts today.

Startlist

Stage-1463115914.jpg

ChrHUD9VEAEhbxY.jpg

Profiles for Saturday and Sunday ...

ChrHigGVEAEiesW.jpg
    ChrIDZYU4AE7yzi.jpg
  • anothersid
    anothersid Posts: 57
    Another win for One Pro. Steele Von Hoff won stage 1 of Tour of Norway.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Seems to have been a crash in Tour of Belgium involving a moto. My French not good but I think reports saying 11? taken to hospital. I haven't seen pics just reports via twitter
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    hangeron wrote:
    Seems to have been a crash in Tour of Belgium involving a moto. My French not good but I think reports saying 11? taken to hospital. I haven't seen pics just reports via twitter

Stage now cancelled.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    It's Dylan time again...

"Dylan Groenewegen won the Heistse Pijl. Team LottoNL-Jumbo’s sprinter beat a small group during the Belgian one-day-race."
    Half man, Half bike
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    That reminds us about "Back in the Day" (yawn) when we rode out in the early morning to a TT and changed our kit at the side of the road and put the racing "Tubs" on, in all weathers. Then after the race we towelled down (and shivered) as we got dressed and then put our road wheels on and headed to a warm Cafe for breakfast.
    Then met the club run for the day out and without a bus shelter in sight.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Tour of Austria:

CmdwIPcWIAAtgaI?format=jpg&name=large
  • imatfaal
    The final stage of the Tour of Wallonia is really worth watching - good fast racing through some narrow streets with a stage and GC that goes right to the line. I watched on Eurosport so the video will be available there for a week
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    edited July 2016
    Last 20km of San Sebastian is good.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    dupe
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Last 20km of San Sabastien is good.

Yes, good end to the race and a nice win.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just had to look the result up - that is good.

Left at 40km remaining to go to a beer festival instead... Am pleased to hear the result (this isn't a spoiler thread right?)