Mountain Bike Shoes

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
In the search to take my riding more seriously this season I've decided that it's time to invest some money in my kit as well as my bike.

So I guess the first thing on my hit list is shoes as several friends have said that going from trainers to a decent pair of mountain bike flat shoes would feel a world different when out on the trails.

I'm not really sure where to start though, a quick google brings up loads of different options but what do you guys feel are worth a look? I don't mind if they are last season, heck if the price is right they can be 3-4 seasons out of date, I'm purely looking for functionality over looks... Although nothing in shocking pink please ;)

Cheers,

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano AM41's are the only flat shoe I would use.
    Not quite as grippy as 5:10 shoes but a lot better suited to British weather.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you have small or odd sized feet any of these are a bargain, just not great colours.
    I have Float in black and Shazam in electrocuted lemon. IMO pretty much as sticky as 5 tens, dry quicker, work great.

The main thing is the sole, stiff, and sticky.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/somb ... prod114745

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/somb ... prod114744

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/somb ... prod114746

Otherwise the obvious is 5 Tens, but starting around £60.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Decent mountain bike shoes are not cheap and even second hand shoes sell for near the retail price, whether this years shoes or seasons old. I recently bought some FiveTen Impact shoes, £68 in the sale, bought them as an impulse buy as I knew I'd get my money back if I didn't like them. They are awesome, I've always ridden SPDs or skate shoes with flats but the Impacts are on another level, they are so grippy and comfortable. Moving from SPDs to flats my riding is considerably faster when riding trails, still recommend SPDs for XC though, really miss being able to pull pedals up.
  • The Floats in Blk/Ylw are ok, nothing too out there and attention grabbing which is exactly what I'm looking for, has anyone else tried these and how do they compare to other shoes available?

The Shimano 41's look like they would be good in poor weather conditions but they seem a little "funny looking", maybe it's just me :S

I've also seen a pair of SixSixOne Filter Gry/Red for under £50 - are these any good?

I did see a nice pair of Five Ten ones but they were £98 ahahahah.... Maybe next year!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Does it matter what they look like? They'll be plastered in mud most of the time.
  • cooldad
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    I've also seen a pair of SixSixOne Filter Gry/Red for under £50 - are these any good?

I use a set of filters, can't compare them to five tens or the am41s but found them grippy and they're reasonably good at keeping my feet dry too.
  • Does it matter what they look like? They'll be plastered in mud most of the time.

I was meaning the way they fasten up, it's a little strange looking, but I guess your right it's not overly important how they look... Performance is the main think and as long as they're not in your face overly colourful as I couldn't imagine wearing neon green or pink shoes...
    Antm81 wrote:
    Rookie1986 wrote:

I use a set of filters, can't compare them to five tens or the am41s but found them grippy and they're reasonably good at keeping my feet dry too.

I do like the look of the Filters and they seem to get reasonably good reviews, also that I've now found a pair for just over £30 makes them possibly the best shoe for money I'll get.

How long have you been riding your Filters and how are they holding up? Also, are there any problems or issues you've found with them?

Cheers guys,
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Had them about 2 years. My riding isn't the most regular though.

There's a couple of bits of rubber missing from the sole where the pedal pins have torn it and the Velcro closure over the laces at the top has stretched on one foot.
  • Five ten impact Hi's, grip to pedals so well it's as if you have clips,
  • I've just bought a pair of five 10 aescents, not a dedicated bike shoe but still has the grippy sole and lightweight...these with a pair of seal skinz socks keep my feel dry, stuck to the pedals and light whatever the conditions.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've just gone from normal skate shoes (etnies) to a pair of 5ten freerider canvas & the difference is amazing. The sticky, stiff sole makes a big difference on the pedals as does the high stiff ankle support.

Currently on sale for £50 at Rock & Run.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Same here, difference between normal skate shoes and Five Ten MTB shoes is like night and day.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Got a pair of AM41s for fairer weather and a pair of those Sombrio's mids for facking up in the winter.

Have to say the Sombrio's are actually really good for the money, they also clean a damn site easier in that throwing them in the washing machine causes no issues. They also do a reasonable job of keeping the water out but couple them with a pair of sealskinz and winter riding days are sorted.

Not quite as grippy as 41s but not far off it, for the money (I paid £25 last year) they're good.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    5.10s.

End of.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    5.10s.

End of.

I've had them and unless I move to death valley I wouldn't ever have another pair. They just soak up so much water and take days to dry.
  • cooldad
    Some Sombrios after a mildly moist ride today

24549212393_a78193f6ed_c.jpg

And after a bit of a hose. Should really have done the bike first, was a bit damp and chilly.

25057789762_40078e94f1_c.jpg

Look a bit speshul but do the job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fit is the most important thing, I like how Adidas trainers fit and the HiTops I have always used.

But the new Adidas Terrex trail cross look promising.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Non cycling specific trainers lack the sole stiffness which means less control and efficiency.
  • I have the Adidas trail cross, look sweet as, and they have the 5/10 stealth soles as well. If you register on the Adidas Web site you also get 15% off.
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    5.10s.

End of.

I've had them and unless I move to death valley I wouldn't ever have another pair. They just soak up so much water and take days to dry.

The newer generation are, apparently, much better in this respect. And, despite how much we like to bïtch about the weather, the reality is even though I ride right through the year I probably only come home with wet feet 25% of the time. And many of those instances are damp rather than waterlogged.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I really like the Five Ten Freerider Contacts but just can't bring myself to spend almost £100 on a new pair of shoes (there are other things I need unfortunately) but I did managed to get a pair of the SixSixOne Filter for an astonishing £32

A few people have mentioned problems with the weather, water in particular... has anyone tried any of the water resistant spray coatings that can be bought from the likes of Liquid Proof etc etc or does this stuff not work??
  • cooldad
    Sealskinz socks. Problem solved.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    That or bin bags round your feet.
  • Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    I have the Adidas trail cross, look sweet as, and they have the 5/10 stealth soles as well. If you register on the Adidas Web site you also get 15% off.

Good shout cheers.