What can I do with an ANT+ stick?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
I recently picked up a Garmin watch that comes with an ANT+ stick.

I've got speed and cadence sensors, HRM and a set of rollers.

I've got an old laptop (anything fancy like zwift not going to happen).

Is there anything of note I can do with this - a graph on screen or something like that? Needs to be free, no more bits to buy and preferably offline.

Comments

• golden cheetah in train mode, if your rollers are supported for virtual power. Google it
  • Trainer Road - but it's not free.
    There is also http://www.turbotraining.co.uk
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The Bkool Simulator has a 'free' mode (and also a free 30-day premium mode). For the free versions, you get 2D maps, virtual power etc.

http://www.bkool.com/try-free-simulator
  • pastryboy
    Thanks, I've downloaded Golden Cheetah as a starting point and will play around with that and go from there. Seems like it can play videos within it but seems no way to download the videos from strava premium to play offline.
  • pastryboy
    Hmmm not exactly user friendly is it.

Any idea how to change the layout on the train screen to get rid of things I don't need like lap and power? Can't find any options anywhere or anything on help guides.
  • Train screen layout is tough to edit. For each chart view, you can:
    1) click on their upper-left corner to edit or remove
    2) click drag lower-right corner to resize
    3) click drag on title to reorder the chart view.

To add more chart views:
    Go in the View menu, Add Chart
  • pastryboy
    Thanks, it's pretty illogical and it seems a bit fiddly - eventually sorted though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    But it's free and analysis with Golden Cheetah, if you spend time getting your head around it can give you valuable insight into your performance also for nothing.
    WK04 has been released for windows... some heavyweight training gurus behind that... however, it costs $190 to purchase!
  • pastryboy
    I just want something to look at when I'm on the rollers seeing as I have the bits required. No power meter and not training for anything specific.
  • What rollers do you have? I'd strongly recommend TrainerRoad if they're supported for their Virtual Power function.

Yes, you have to pay for it, but it's worth every penny and more. You don't need to sign your life away, one month's subscription is $12 USD (so ~£8.50) and that'll give you a chance to browse their training plans and get a feel for what it can offer you.
  • You can check and see if your rollers are supported here: Equipment Checker

If for some reason they're not listed, shoot us an email to support@trainerroad.com and we can see if we can get them in the system for you or if there's a very close alternative that you can select.
  • pastryboy
    I have Tacx Antares pretty much the most common rollers I'd have thought and sure enough they're listed.

There is no way I could put out the sort of power on them I know I can do though which I figure would affect the FTP test. Is it possible to skip the FTP test and just input it from a past test I've done?