Targeting more than one thing in turbo session

Stupid-death
Stupid-death Posts: 63
Should you target more than one thing in a turbo session? Say for example Z5 VO2 Max intervals followed by say low cadence high resistance strength intervals? Been searching around and haven't been able to find any advice other than this:

From: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/09/ag ... art-4.html

"Here’s how to do these VO2 max sessions. Once a week do work intervals of 2 to 4 minutes duration at zone 5 power (Coggan) or zone 5b pace (mine). Again, heart rate is of little value here due to the time it takes for it to “catch-up” with the intensity of each interval. Recover for about the same amount of time as the preceding interval. Get in 12 to 15 minutes of zone 5b pace or zone 5 power in a session. So the workout would be something like this…

1. Warm-up

2. 5 x 3 minutes at zone 5/5b (3-minute recoveries)

Cool down (or work on another ability such as muscular or aerobic endurance)"

Comments

• nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I think it comes down to whether or not you have the energy left to do good quality intervals, ie without weakening your primary intervals or just loading up unnecessary fatigue.

E.g. after 5 full-on VO2Max intervals you should be pretty spent - you might be five for some low intensity (70% FTP) work to get some z3 work in, but not much else. I wouldn't try any proper threshold work, you would be better off putting more into the 'primary' intervals.

Of course, it also comes down to what you want to improve. If it is to improve your sprinting power after chasing down attacks, then doing sprint intervals after your VO2Max session would be excellent training to improve your fatigued sprinting performance - just don't expect your sprints to be as effective as they would be by doing just pure sprint training.
  • I always target finishing the session as soon as possible
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles