BB service on summer bike(dry miles only)

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited February 2016 in Workshop
I was wondering how often I need to get my BB serviced on my summer bike(ridden May - Oct) and unless I get get caught short its only doing 300 dry miles per week.

Just wondering if its getting over serviced and can anybody advise getting the BB removed too often is detrimental to the frame etc. This bike is Ti with Ultegra BB85 pressfit.

Thanks
Brian B.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If it doing that mileage in nice conditions the you can leave it for years. No need to touch it.

I've never used press fit so can't comment on that but for those with screw in b/bs who may have the same dilemma it'll will make no difference at all to the frame if you take it out once a week or once in a decade: it's a piece of metal that screws into a thread in the frame, much like a large bolt - so long as you slap a bit of copperslip on and don't cross thread/mash it it'll make no difference at all ever.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • What do you do when you service a BB winter or summer? Are they not all sealed bearings?
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Only 300 miles a week?! pfffffft at that rate you'll be passing it on to the grandchildren.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If it ain't broke don't fix it......

Seriously, unless it's creaking badly, spins roughly or there is substantial resistance to crank rotation just ride it :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    OP, a pressfit BB is not designed to be removed for regular maintenance. In doing so you would damaged the bearings/races due to the nature of removal, leave well alone until such time that the BB needs to be replaced at the end of it's life.

"NOTE: It is the intent of the bike manufacturers that the bottom bracket bearing be removed only when being replaced. It is necessary to impact the bearing adaptor and bearings from the inside, which may leave impact marks. Because a new bottom bracket is being installed, this is usually not a concern."

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Thanks for all replies. Was fortunate to get two new bikes last year and both fitted with press fit bb's but none of them have been touched as yet and useful to know that its a case of replacement rather than an overhaul.
    Brian B.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1 has a press-fit Shimano BB, the frameset arrived with it already installed. Shimano in their typically cautious way suggest that the composite bearing cups can be damaged by removal, and so once removed they should be replaced.

So I'm just leaving mine in there till it's clearly showing signs of wear and / or corrosion, at which point I'll just bash it out and fit a new one.

It too does dry miles only, and since I have the body weight and power output of a hamster, I'm figuring it should last for years.