Giant Anthem advanced X2 parts advice needed

Plu
Plu Posts: 6
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got myself a new toy, well old ish new toy:)
I bought a used Giant Anthem advanced X2 mountainbike from 2008. Like this one:
http://www.sellabike.com/geo/index.php?a=2&b=1120

Lovin it! Carbon frame and very light!

It has however, a few issues; the rear cassette seems loose, the crank is worn, the front disk brake slips on the hub ever so slightly under braking...

Here is a video of the rear cassette, is this normal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWDl1bBEI8z3kLW1UPuyxA6bzrpnLKhoyw/view?usp=sharing

So I'm looking for recommendations for a not to pricey crankset and a replacement cassette if I need one!

Is the brake disk slipping on the front hub repairable?
Here is an image of the brake disc:
view?usp=docslist_api
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KqN-MDc5cujGrFEnZPs1KUpnEGN80FUq3g/view?usp=docslist_api

Thanks!
Plu

Comments

• Hard to say what's wrong without seeing it in pieces, could well be the cassette or the freehub. Disassemble and inspect.

Centrelock are a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Without seeing the rotor and front hub moving relative to one another it is again, hard to say.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Looks like that cassette is farked and needs replacing. Obviously once you've taken it off you'll be able to inspect the freehub too.

As for replacement inexpensive cassettes then either Shimano SLX, or SRAM PG950. (I'm assuming it's 9 speed?)
    For cranksets, I'd probably go with an Shimano SLX as a pretty good value/performance mix. CRC has them at around £75. Deore if you want to spend less.
    You're going to need a new chain too. My preference would be SRAM or KMC ahead of Shimano

As for the brake slipping - you're just going to have to have a closer look at the hub / disc interface and see what's wrong.
  • As above, SLX for cassette, XT if you're feeling flush. The differences between cranks are negligible, I'd go for deore for crank, £30 less are barely different. KMC are also my preference for chains, also not a fan of Shimano.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure the front disc locknut is tight, in use there is no force there to rotate the disc forward only braking forces to rotate it backwards, so I wouldn't worry about it, just ride it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Plu
    Thanks for all the replies!!
    Gonna get some tools tomorrow to take the cassette and bottom bracket off. I think the crankset may be ok, reckon it's the bottom bracket that needs replacing
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Being a bike from 2008, I would fit some new chain rings as they are bound to be worn.
  • Plu
    Ok so after closer inspection it seems the rear cassette was moving due to the locking nut being a bit loose - tightened it up and it's rotating as normal.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oxGAoAwSQ4TxImHdMHFj9OMOcLGL5HM5Ng/view?usp=sharing

I also tightened up the front brake disc after removing it and cleaning/greasing it - doesn't seem to move any more but I won't know until I put the bike bake together.

The crankset issue looks to a bad bottom bracket - if I hold the pedals I am able to rock them from side to side - the movement is maybe 4-5 mm - here is a video of it:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PEHwMrvckGaCUEi_eTR5WTNym2_vo_aJpw/view?usp=sharing
    Does this rocking mean I need a crankset and bottom bracket, or just the bottom bracket?
    Also, what kind of a bottom bracket is this? it's hollow!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A Shimano Hollowtech II. Probably just a BB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Check it doesn't just need the crank preload setting.....

There shouldn't be any grease touching any part of the front brake disc!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Check it doesn't just need the crank preload setting.....

There shouldn't be any grease touching any part of the front brake disc!

I think plu means they have put grease around the threads on the centrelock part of the hub.

I never bothered doing it but did notice that from the factory there was a little grease on it.

the bottom bracket is most likely to be worn so for the sake of 15-20quid an xtr replacement will be worth spending money on.
  • The Rookie
    For thirty seconds work, checking the preload seems a good idea.

As it's an older bike, it probably doesn't have the original BB, so may already be an XT or XTR.
  • Plu
    Update on this - I tried adjusting the preload but to no avail.
    I bought and installed a new BB and problem solved.

Now I have a different problem! I am putting the bike back together - I had a problem with the front brake disc slipping earlier which seemed to have been caused by a loose locking nut.
    When I tried to put the front wheel back on, the brake disc does not line up with the brake mechanism - here is a picture:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BQz72GXEA4uhoEl5Ib6PRKmaYspXzAePXw/view

What have I done wrong! :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Disc on the wrong way round?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Ceratinly looks like it, also is it bolted the correct side?
  • The Rookie
    It's centrelock not bolted.....definately on in side on the out side....
  • Plu
    yep well.. ahem.. it was on the wrong way around :)