Paris Roubaix 2016 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    RichN95 wrote:
    The sectors have been rated:

CfOJLW0UkAAqsp7.jpg

Err, guys, it's Paris Roubaix, not the track.

It's also not Total Wipeout.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    exciting. hope for wet / stybar win
  • ThomThom wrote:
    I will head down to Nyhavn in Copenhagen and verbally bully swans and doves until they look at me with a fed up rainbow face like a melted Skittle if I see one rider using the gutter instead of the cobbles.

How do you fancy Lars Ytting Bak for Sun then, ThomThom?
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    WTF is Dayer Quintana doing on the startlist? I know Movistar don't exactly bring a star-studded classics squad but really?

And he did Flanders.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Feel like I need to check it's not Dutch April Fools Day but

Lars van der Haar ‏@larsvanderhaar
    Due to injury of @ZicoWaeytens I'll start my first Paris-Roubaix this Sunday. Gonna be a special feeling to do that race. New experience!

I suppose with Degenkolb out they may as well let him have a crack....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sven Nys did it a couple of times with Rabobank
  • ddraver
    Yeah but.... Lars is flipping tiny!

I ve a picture of him with DG and he looks like Goat's step son (and that's no reflection on Mr Goat)

Sven is at least a normal size rider, even a powerhouse for a CX rider.

Good luck to him all the same though!
    - @ddraver
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah but.... Lars is flipping tiny!

I ve a picture of him with DG and he looks like Goat's step son (and that's no reflection on Mr Goat)

Sven is at least a normal size rider, even a powerhouse for a CX rider.

Good luck to him all the same though!

Still a whole 2cm taller than Dayer though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Anyone else expecting a 2013 repeat except that the master will lose out to the prodigy? Maybe some my man bias coming in.
  • TheBigBean
    Cancellera and Sagan are the betting favourites. I would have Cancellara comfortably more likely to win than Sagan.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Hmm, personally I've always thought that Cancellara is better at Flanders than Roubaix
  • ddraver
    Sagan's ace against Canc in Roubaix is his sprint.
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Cancellera and Sagan are the betting favourites. I would have Cancellara comfortably more likely to win than Sagan.

I'd have them pretty even, Cancellera no longer seems to have the engine to ride people off his wheel, not suggesting anyone else has it but it puts him back into the pack of favourites rather than the standout favourite. At Flanders I expected him to close Sagan down especially as he got a couple of turns from Sepp VM - the fact he didn't suggests he is just a few percent off what he was. For me a lot depends on him not getting into a situation where others are looking at him to do the work because of who he is - in a group of favourites like Sagan, Boonen etc I would give him every chance but if he lets people get up the road and gets leaned on to do the work to close it then I can see him trying to play poker and losing out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    How do people rate Luke Rowe's chances? He's been going well, is always at the sharp end, with some better luck and the employment of better tactics (like keeping out the wind a bit more) he could spring a surprise? Maybe not the win, but a podium is surely within his grasp he if stays upright?

He'll be well protected by Sky on Sunday and Sky did a decent job last week getting numbers in there for the final part of the race, if they do the same at PR the chances of success are surely greater.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Well he was top 10 last year so a podium is definitely possible. He just needs a bit more experience of Paris Roubaix tactics.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    How do people rate Luke Rowe's chances? He's been going well, is always at the sharp end, with some better luck and the employment of better tactics (like keeping out the wind a bit more) he could spring a surprise? Maybe not the win, but a podium is surely within his grasp he if stays upright?

He'll be well protected by Sky on Sunday and Sky did a decent job last week getting numbers in there for the final part of the race, if they do the same at PR the chances of success are surely greater.

He'll do well to be on the podium. Would be a bit of a surprise if he won.
  • ddraver
    How do people rate Luke Rowe's chances?

Likely to be first of the also-rans. I don't think he's developed an all conquering race winning move yet
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    I thought Cancellara closed a huge amount over the cobbles in Flanders, but he was unable to close on the smooth road. I'm expecting the cobbles in P-R to have a more pronounced effect, but time will tell.
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan won't win PR.
  • TheBigBean
    Sagan won't win PR.

Ever or this year?
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited April 2016
    ddraver wrote:

Likely to be first of the also-rans. I don't think he's developed an all conquering race winning move yet

Also-ran is harsh

I think he has a shot at a podium. A win this year - too much to ask unless there's an almighty pile-up (not wishing for that)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Sagan has the monument monkey off his back. He will be the man to beat.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    A lot depends on the weather. Looks like it'll be wet but not raining for the business end. I think the top 3 from last weekend are the three most likely to win. Boom and Stybar if the weather turns really bad. If it is a fast one (and the forecasts suggest it will be) then there is a possibility there might be a big group at the finish which would be good for Kristoff and perhaps Rowe who can sprint well after a long race. A few wildcards - it would be great to see Boonen pull something out of the bag, I hope he is at least part of the story as it unfolds. Tony Martin seems to be flying under the radar - he'll probably be supporting and learning this year, but no questioning his engine when he's on form. Finally my heart says Ian Stannard - he seems to have really put all his eggs in the one basket this spring and I'm hoping he might spring a surprise, although head says Sagan. Maybe I'll go for Sep as a compromise!
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Also-ran is harsh

I think he has a shot at a podium. A win this year - too much to ask for

...so an also-ran? :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Sagan won't win PR.

Ever or this year?

This year, possibly ever.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Demare is out. That's my ante-post patent bust.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • TheBigBean
    BigMat wrote:
    Tony Martin seems to be flying under the radar -

Excellent point. Very tempting odds.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Sagan won't win PR.

Ever or this year?

This year, possibly ever.

Well, I think he looked a bit ropey on some of the cobbles over the last two years, hence my original opinion. Never is a bold call, but that's what the internet is for.
  • rick_chasey
    Indeed. Keeps the place interesting.

Sagan doesn't have a flat enough back for Roubaix.
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Also-ran is harsh

I think he has a shot at a podium. A win this year - too much to ask for

...so an also-ran? :wink:

The phrase is an unfortunate one