The bearing guessing game

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Bit later in the year im going to refresh all the bearings on my FS main pivots got a tiny amount of play and as I dont know the age of the rest thought its better to just refresh them.

First job will be removing, Now I have bearing removers for cars which will be far to big, any prefered tool for removal on a bike?

The bike is a 2008 Stevens Glide Max, I mailed Stevens in Germany who said I need to contact my "local dealer" considering they no longer have one in the UK that made it harder straight away. Should the bearings have markings on them once out so I can simply order replacements? Also will I be able to use the removal tool to press the new bearings or will I need more tools?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sockets and hammer and a drift (drift out, sockets in....)

The bearings will almost certainly be marked, otherwise accurately measure!

Some may be bushes and not bearings of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    True, Well ive more sockets than I care to count an drifts so shouldnt be a problem on that front Thanks I didnt want to push them out only to find I should have used a proper tool an damaged something.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you do it with some moderate care and intelligence you won't damage it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.