Canyon SPECTRAL EX or Cube STEREO 140 SL 27.5

Snigget
Snigget Posts: 24
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've done a lot of research and have come up with these 2 as the most likely candidates and was wondering if anyone has experience of any of these (or both)
particularly interested in sizing as i currently ride a medium Trek Remedy 9 (2011 model) and using their online sizing tool both say i need a small. I'm 5'8" (172 cm) and weigh 12st 8 (80kg)

Cube
http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/fullsuspension/stereo/cube-stereo-140-hpa-sl-275-metalnflashred-2016/
http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/fullsuspension/stereo/cube-stereo-140-c62-sl-275-carbonngreen-2016/

Canyon
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/2016/spectral-al-8-0-ex.html
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/spectral-cf-9-0-ex.html

also want to throw this into the mix
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/17969/cube-stereo-140-super-hpc-tm-650b-mountain-bike-2015-sale
which looks like its from an older spec and has a shorter head tube

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given Canyon's current issues, how soon did you want the bike?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Rookie wrote:

:D
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Snigget
    The Rookie wrote:

don't want it before the end of march but it is worth bearing in mind
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Snigget wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

The Canyon could very well take longer than that...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Snigget wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

March 2017? :D
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    cube, if you want a bike, canyon if you like to own one through an email confirmation and never get the chance to ride it :D
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Canyon are promising to fix it, but some people have been waiting three months so far....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Snigget
    anyone got any thoughts on the bikes?

is last years cube at £1000 off any worse than the new models?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Snigget wrote:
    There isn't a big redesign or anything, so it should be very similar
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    The sl edition is equiped with much better parts than the 1000 Hpa race
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't have either. The Canyon is a cheap frame with shiny bits bolted on and a five year wait for it and I just really disliked Cubes rear suspension when I tried one at a demo day.
    How about a 2015 Giant Trance from Pauls Cycles for a huge discount or a Rose Granite Chief.
  • Snigget wrote:

So what have you bought?

I'm in similar situation, same height as you and want to buy stereo 140.
    Cannot decide between 16" and 18" sizes. Thinking to get 16" size. :roll:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Snigget wrote:

So what have you bought?

I'm in similar situation, same height as you and want to buy stereo 140.
    Cannot decide between 16" and 18" sizes. Thinking to get 16" size. :roll:

You need to try one for size. I'm 5'9" and have a 20" stereo. The seat tube is actually only 18". Makes no sense but its correct!
  • ste_t wrote:

You need to try one for size. I'm 5'9" and have a 20" stereo. The seat tube is actually only 18". Makes no sense but its correct!

I can't. I have to buy online.
    Comparing geometry with my current 26" hardtail, size 16" looks quite similar.
    I'm just afraid that because of short seattube - seatpost might not extend enough (according to reviews).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try for size in a shop then order online if it fits.
  • Try for size in a shop then order online if it fits.

I can't.
    There's no CUBE dealers here :(
    Have to buy online.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    As other have said the Stereo is tiny, you really need to go up a size from what you would normally ride, ignore the seat tube length and go on top tube length/reach and go from there. I can't quite put into words just how small the 16" bike, you'd have to be 5ft nothing for it be the right size!
  • Snigget
    Thought I should follow this up with what i finally went for and why.

I've been riding a 2011 Trek Remedy 9 for a long time which now has a 160 pike and a 1X shimano setup on it. XT brakes, stans arch... really like it and its been even better with the pikes but its getting old so....

Cube Stereo 140
    I test rode (briefly) a small and medium and found the front to be really heavy.
    the small was too small. very short reach but no more lively to pick up. so medium is the right size.
    Wanted a 1X drivetrain so would've been looking at doing a conversion straight away.
    love pikes but would've been happy with the new 34 fox as they're supposed to be spot on now.

Canyon Spectral EX
    Unable to test a Spectral and was concerned that their sizing tool said i needed a small when I've always ridden medium frames.
    1X drivetrain
    pikes. Something about the extra 10mm on the fork appeals to me.
    Really like XT brakes so guides were a worry. £100 upgrade if needed.
    Delivery problems.....

Rose Granite Chief
    Unable to test for size.
    only XS showing in stock
    Would need another £1000 to get the same spec which kind of killed it off for me.

I decided to order a Spectral AL EX 8 in medium.
    Didn't fancy the carbon frame as the weight difference was minimal and the cost was +£600.
    The EX 8 gave me all the components i wanted with the exception of the brakes.
    Not worried about delivery time as the Trek is still working fine.
    Can send it back if its obviously the wrong size, poor quality frame, as heavy as the Stereo etc.

Ordering was a bit of a pain as my debit card was declined 3 times. It turns out this was due to my bank trying to protect me from on-line fraud and nothing to do with Canyon.
    Once that was sorted the whole process went very smoothly and the bike was delivered 3 weeks later.

Once I'd put it together, set the sag and put some old pedals on it I took it for a spin on the road to try it for size and feel. I was wondering how much I could ride it and still be able to send it back so stuck to tarmac. I live on a hill so could try out climbing, rolled some steps then dropped off them at pace and, although i was using all the shock travel, I felt happy that I'd got the right bike. Until....

First proper ride at the forest of dean had me wondering.
    Riding the dowies trails I was getting bucked on the flat landings of the jumps.
    Added some pressure to the shock to keep it from bottoming out. getting bucked on take-off. slowed rebound. still bottoming out. Repeated but it was getting way too firm and I was getting worried.
    After researching it appears that lots of people are having this problem with the DB inline with standard setup.
    the solution is to add volume spacers(get these from tf tuned), set the sag as normal and change the high speed compression to keep it from going through the travel.
    As for the brakes. I think I got so involved in suspension set-up that I forgot that I might not like the brakes. By the time I got round to thinking about them it was clear that they aren't a problem. The only thing I ever notice about brakes is when they don't work. These do work so they're staying.

NOW I'M LOVING IT!
    Low speed compression and rebound allow you to get is nice and smooth on small bumps, soaks up roots and rocks and takes landings off 3 foot drops no problem.
    Doesn't feel much different to the Remedy though(which is a shame after spending all that cash) but if you believe strava I'm 5-10% quicker on local trails when I pin it. so maybe that's why.

PS. Invisiframe do kits in gloss and matte but they won't stick to anodised frames (I think the stealth black is the only one)

PPS Does anyone want to buy a Remedy???
  • lawman wrote:
    As other have said the Stereo is tiny, you really need to go up a size from what you would normally ride, ignore the seat tube length and go on top tube length/reach and go from there. I can't quite put into words just how small the 16" bike, you'd have to be 5ft nothing for it be the right size!

Funny thing is 16" CUBE has longer top tube than my current 18" hardtail( 26" wheels) :)
    And I'd prefer little smaller frame than I already have (for more agility).

As for the reach, I don't know my hardtail's reach.
    Snigget wrote:
    Cube Stereo 140
    I test rode (briefly) a small and medium and found the front to be really heavy.
    the small was too small. very short reach but no more lively to pick up. so medium is the right size.
    Wanted a 1X drivetrain so would've been looking at doing a conversion straight away.
    love pikes but would've been happy with the new 34 fox as they're supposed to be spot on now.

Reading you excellent writeup and PM response, now I'm more hesitant than before :|
  • Snigget
    Reach is the one you need to look at really,

top tubes are getting longer to give more downhill stability along with slacker head angles.
    I stayed with medium as i felt that a small frame, which would most likely be easier to manoeuvre, wouldn't give me any more stability than my previous medium frame as the top tube lengths are similar.

don't find the new bike to be too big and it looks like the stability part is happening as i appear to be going faster
  • Snigget wrote:
    top tubes are getting longer to give more downhill stability along with slacker head angles.
    I stayed with medium as i felt that a small frame, which would most likely be easier to manoeuvre, wouldn't give me any more stability than my previous medium frame as the top tube lengths are similar.

don't find the new bike to be too big and it looks like the stability part is happening as i appear to be going faster

It is the longer wheelbase that gives more stability.
    You got more stability sizing up because of longer top tube dictates longer wheelbase.

Anyway, I got size small and glad I did.
    Can't see if one is not overweight how can you feel cramped inside.

Will report more after some more riding