Changing free hub from Campag to Shimano (Mavic)

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi.

I'm looking to change my free hub on my 2013 Ksyrium SLS wheel. I've gone from Campag 10spd to Shimano 11 spd and would obviously like to use my best wheels on the new bike.

Is it just a case of swapping them over (seen video how to do this) ?

Only reason I ask is that I tried doing the same with a handbuilt wheel, with novatec freehub, that I use on my turbo and it just doesn't 'feel' right. The wheel builder did mention that it might need re-dishing, or using spacers but I got confused when he started talking about it. :lol:

But I'm not too bothered about the turbo wheel, but am concerned about ruining my best wheels.

This is what I'm going to use, but it doesn't mention 11 speed only 8,9 &10, I thought M11 was shim/sram 11 spd, although it's advertised as M11...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-freehub-body-ftsl-m11/rp-prod33442

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Would it not be easier to put a Campag 11 speed cassette on the wheel as it is? The spacing's the same when you get to 11 speed stuff.

Not neccessarily cheaper though, especially if you already have the Shimano cassette and want to use it.

No idea bout Mavic stuff; all my wheels and kit are Shimano
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I've already got the cassette, and as you say it was cheaper than buying 11spd Campag..