What to do next?

Quattró
Quattró Posts: 7
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
I've ridden for a lot of miles... and I mean a lot. :mrgreen:
Mostly for recreation and a way to excercise for more than a year now. Bonking and crashing a few times, got lost in a remote area with no spare tube and where your emergency cab money is of no use, etc. It was a tough year for a novice like me but cycling gave so much in return.

Since I got my bike (Cannondale Caad 8 - Sora) the only things I spent money on are replacement for the worn tyres, tubes, brake pads and a few bottles of liquid dish detergent and a bottle of lube. I am still riding my bike, never had problems with it nor had the urge to buy a new bike or upgrade anything besides the saddle (Specialized Romin Evo) until now.

Now I am in need of your expertise! I have a budget of just £500-600, I know I can't get anything "better" but I can get a used higher end bike (second hand) or do I just upgrade the old stuff?

Cheers!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're not desperate to spend the money and everything's working I'd just treat it to some decent new tyres and bar tape. Folding Conti GP4000 S and Michelin Pro4 SC seem well regarded (I have the latter on my summer bike)

If you really want to splash the cash on the bike, spend £300 on a 105 5800 groupset and the rest on wheels. The frame's good enough.
  • You can still get supersix 105 for 999
    Can you sell yours and add to the funds ?

Or , I sold my 2012 105 supersix earlier this year ( mint low miles bike ) for 600

Just some ideas. Not sure if your after a race geometry bike !?
  • I've ridden for a lot of miles... and I mean a lot. :mrgreen:
    Mostly for recreation and a way to excercise for more than a year now. Bonking and crashing a few times, got lost in a remote area with no spare tube and where your emergency cab money is of no use, etc. It was a tough year for a novice like me but cycling gave so much in return.

Since I got my bike (Cannondale Caad 8 - Sora) the only things I spent money on are replacement for the worn tyres, tubes, brake pads and a few bottles of liquid dish detergent and a bottle of lube. I am still riding my bike, never had problems with it nor had the urge to buy a new bike or upgrade anything besides the saddle (Specialized Romin Evo) until now.

Now I am in need of your expertise! I have a budget of just £500-600, I know I can't get anything "better" but I can get a used higher end bike (second hand) or do I just upgrade the old stuff?

Cheers!

RS81 wheelset http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs81-c24-carbon-clincher-wheelset/ £320
    105 11 speed groupset http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-groupset/ £280

Total £600. As good as having a new bike.
  • You can still get supersix 105 for 999
    Can you sell yours and add to the funds ?

Or , I sold my 2012 105 supersix earlier this year ( mint low miles bike ) for 600

Just some ideas. Not sure if your after a race geometry bike !?

@noste500
    I have ridden that beast from one of the LBS here, and I have to say it might be my dream bike. I also like the Specialized Venge but the price is far from my budget. Thanks for the idea, I will try to keep my eye on the Supersix at my LBS. You'll never know... maybe a day will come when a local cyclist will sell his old Supersix Evo. :D
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're not desperate to spend the money and everything's working I'd just treat it to some decent new tyres and bar tape. Folding Conti GP4000 S and Michelin Pro4 SC seem well regarded (I have the latter on my summer bike)

If you really want to splash the cash on the bike, spend £300 on a <a href="tel:105 5800">105 5800</a> groupset and the rest on wheels. The frame's good enough.
    Quattró[/url]"]I've ridden for a lot of miles... and I mean a lot. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

RS81 wheelset <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs81-c24-carbon-clincher-wheelset</span>/ £320
    105 11 speed groupset <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-groupset</span>/ £280

Total £600. As good as having a new bike.

@keef66 & @markhewitt1978
    Thank you both for your replies. I agree with changing the groupset to 105's and a new pair of wheels would be nice considering that I need to change those if I get the 105.

Your replies made my day. For someone just more than a year into cycling, getting sufficient information is both useful and a big help. Cheers guys! :D
  • I'd be tempted by a pair of Fulcrum 3's including Conti GP4000s II for an extra £15 at Merlin Cycles; £335.

I think Sora is ok, if nothing special. The above wheels are 'future proof' as can take your Sora and are also 11spd compatible, ready for a future groupset upgrade. Why not try spending the rest of the money on refreshing your bike; give it a good clean and thorough service, new quality cable sets and bar tape, and then new cassette, chain and break pads if needed, and also on the cleaning products, brushes, servicing tools and grease/lubes etc. Possibly even do a local bike servicing course depending on how confident you are? I find bike tinkering and making sure everything is running smoothly quite motivating to get out and ride it.
  • I'd be tempted by a pair of Fulcrum 3's including Conti GP4000s II for an extra £15 at Merlin Cycles; £335.

I think Sora is ok, if nothing special. The above wheels are 'future proof' as can take your Sora and are also 11spd compatible, ready for a future groupset upgrade. Why not try spending the rest of the money on refreshing your bike; give it a good clean and thorough service, new quality cable sets and bar tape, and then new cassette, chain and break pads if needed, and also on the cleaning products, brushes, servicing tools and grease/lubes etc. Possibly even do a local bike servicing course depending on how confident you are? I find bike tinkering and making sure everything is running smoothly quite motivating to get out and ride it.

@Bungalballs
    I couldn't agree with you more, like with the other replies.

I went out on a ride today and checked a few LBS around town. I realize that buying a new bike while the one you have is working perfectly is not a sound idea. Upgrade it is and a few hours learning from a bike mechanic will be an added bonus.

Thanks for your replies guys. Big help. Cheers!
  • Don't get a new bike. Go on a cycling holiday instead
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Don't get a new bike. Go on a cycling holiday instead

This a thousand times. Cycling in big mountains and in warm/hot weather is another facet to cycling which simply cannot be experienced in the UK.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on the sunshiney holiday.

I'd not swap groupsets unless one wasn't working. You won't notice any difference. And its so cruddy out there that I'd not be buying a nice bike or wheels and heading out here anyway.
  • +1 on the sunshiney holiday.

I'd not swap groupsets unless one wasn't working. You won't notice any difference. And its so cruddy out there that I'd not be buying a nice bike or wheels and heading out here anyway.

Or I will just ride the bike hard and replace the parts that needs to be replaced (upgrade it) instead of buying it while its still working perfectly.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Better wheels is often the best way to upgrade your bike - I'd second the idea of spending £300 on some wheels and another on a 105 groupset - 11 speed 105 is a massive improvement over Sora and you will certainly notice the difference. New bar tape and tyres and you'll effectively have a new, smoother, lighter bike.

Alternatively, save a few more £s over the coming months and splash out on a carbon bike for the summer (decent ones eg boardman for under £1k) and keep your old one as a winter/foul weather bike.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Better wheels is often the best way to upgrade your bike - I'd second the idea of spending £300 on some wheels and another on a 105 groupset - 11 speed 105 is a massive improvement over Sora and you will certainly notice the difference. New bar tape and tyres and you'll effectively have a new, smoother, lighter bike.

Alternatively, save a few more £s over the coming months and splash out on a carbon bike for the summer (decent ones eg boardman for under £1k) and keep your old one as a winter/foul weather bike.

Got myself the Fulcrum 5 LG wheelset this week, picked it over the Hunt 4 Seasons wheels as it was way cheaper. Gonna install it once my stock wheels losses a spoke.

With regards to a carbon bike I think... IMHO, I need to do more riding and the desire to compete or race to justify having to purchase one. But anyhow I will keep that in mind... thats what I said about buying a road bike, and now I have one. :roll:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well if i'd waited till my first wheelset broke a spoke it would have been 7 years, so I suggest you stick the new wheels on as soon as the clocks go forward!
    You can Ebay the old ones or keep them for winter or turbo use.
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    change to a comfortable saddle and keep the rest of the money. A new bike may not motivate you to do more milages based on what you have said.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    If you're in the UK and have never been to the alps, get yourself out there. Annecy, Bourg D'Oisans or Bormio would be a good start. It'll change your perspective on life (or at least it did for me).