Disk frame build - advice & shopping list

claddo
claddo Posts: 27
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hello all, Bit of a frame build novice and certainly my first time doing a disc build. Ideas & help much appreciated! :idea:

I have a Giant Defy Pro 0 frame lined up. apart from stem, bars & seat post I need to source 2nd hand or purchase everything else. Can you advise a shopping list?... some questions:

Groupset:
Considering mechanical Ultegra groupset (prices coming down nicely and high quality 2nd hand readily available) and hydraulic RS675 breaks, which I would need to buy new.
- What pieces and where to buy for the disc brakes?
- How to get a good deal on Ultegra 'group' when will not need levers & brakes, just need to buy mechs ets separately?
- Are some places selling 'disc' groupsets ready packaged?
- Are the disc brake mounts standardized if I wanted to go for SRAM Force/Red instead?

Wheelset:
Excuse the naivety, but are there any special considerations when buying a wheelset for use with discs?
Preference is to source a good 2nd hand pair

Final question, if any thoughts... is this all a bit too much trouble and should I fold & buy a new bike?
My preference & budget has always been to buy 2nd hand and source better wheels/parts; but happy to fold if it simple doesn't make much sense. My budget is around €2,500/£1800 and the frameset is already £600

Due to some lack of experience on discs etc, I imagine I will have a few hours workshop costs @ local bikeshop to factor in finishing.

Thanks for your thoughts & suggested shopping lists folks! :D

Comments