Quick crank brothers 50/50 pedal review

j6collins
j6collins Posts: 15
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ok, I'm going to first start off with the bad, I have an estimated 300 miles on the pedals and the needle bearing in my left pedal has given me issues. That being said crank brothers have great customer service and said they would fix the issue, but they refused to just send me bearing, can't win them all. On to the pedals, I have five ten shoes which are great but I do ride in running shoes as well and these pedals grip very well. I ride technical xc trails in Germany with lots of rocks, which I hit my pedals against pretty hard and pretty frequently, not issues besides the bearing to date. The pedals still look very good considering how much I put them through. I will do a five hundred mile update if people are interested.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    300 mile bearing life. Crank Bros have really improved their reliability.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, the days of 50 mile rebuilds seem over.....

Of course my 520's that cost £16 have done nearly 6000 miles but that cheap Shimano kit for you.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm somewhere around 20,000 miles on the m520's on my commuter and they're feeling a little rough now.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I have m520's on mine too.. Roughly 2000 miles in the last couple of years on my mtb.. and I can't seem to break them?

Bearings gone after 300 miles? They have some (more) work to do...
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • I'm hoping that it's not crank brothers fault and that the rocky terrain that I ride may have caused one ore two big hits too many. On the other hand I believe these are DH pedals, I would imagine that the DH guys put pedals through a lot more than my xc riding
  • rockmonkeysc
    Crank Bros pedals are known for crap bearings. They're loosing a lot of their DH sales to HT pedals X1 platform clipless.