Replacing brake disc rotors

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I just want to make sure that I've got the procedure to changing my brake rotors correct. The braking system on my hybrid is Tektro Auriga Comp if that helps. Here's what I've gleaned from various websites and YouTube videos.

1. Remove wheel;

2. Unbolt old rotor;

3. Bolt on new rotor (correct direction, correct bolt torquing sequence and correct torque);

4. Fit wheel back onto bike;

5. Loosen brake caliper mounting bolts;

6. Squeeze brake lever and re-tighten caliper mounting bolts to correct torque;

7. Repeat steps 1-6 for other wheel.

Is there anything that I've missed from those steps?

The brake pads have already been replaced, by the way.

Comments

• I would also ensure that you give the rotors a clean with isopropryl alcohol or similar before you align calipers to ensure no dirt and contamination
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, rotors often have stuff on them, machine oil or just gunk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Would you not use threadlock on the rotor bolts? My new rotors came with threadlocked bolts.

Also make sure the mating surfaces are totally clean.
  • rumbataz
    Okay, thanks all. I'll give the rotors a wipe with IPA.
  • rumbataz
    Would you not use threadlock on the rotor bolts? My new rotors came with threadlocked bolts.

Just checked the bolts that were supplied with the rotors and they have a blue coating on the threads which I presume is threadlock?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404

Just checked the bolts that were supplied with the rotors and they have a blue coating on the threads which I presume is threadlock?

Yep, that's threadlock.

Pay attention to how much force required to remove old bolts, be careful not to over tighten new ones.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    and when tightening the bolts force the rotor clock wise so to remove any lash
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rumbataz
    All fitted this afternoon. Everything was triple-checked and a test ride this evening showed the brakes to be functioning fine - they'll obviously need bedding in.

A huge thank you for all the advice given in this thread. I wouldn't have tackled the job myself had I not got such great advice on these forums. All in all it took me about an hour from start to finish to replace the rotors. My LBS would have charged me £30 for the labour.