Need an advice on MTB chosing

Mako13
Mako13 Posts: 4
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone!

I’m just about to buy my first MTB and currently considering several options to choose from, but can’t decide due to lack of experience.
1) The 1st model I’m looking at is 2011-2012 Scott Scale 70 (used, but in very good condition) offered for about 455 USD.
The specs are as follows:
Breaks: Shimano (disk, hydraulic), BR-M445 - front
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore SLX
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Fork: Rock Shox Tora (no remote lockout)
Tires: Schwalbe Smart Sam

sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg

2) The 2nd one is 2015 B’Twin Rockrider 560 (used, but in mint condition) for 480 USD.
Breaks: Avid (disk, hydraulic)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore SLX
Fork: Rock Shox XC32 Air with remote lockout
Tires: Michelin Country trail

bw1.jpg
bw2.jpg

The next two are a bit more expensive, not sure if the additional money brings more value, but still worth of consideration:
3) Bulls Copperhead 1 (2010 I guess) for 520 USD (used, but in good condition)
Breaks: Tekktro Auriga PRO (disk, hydraulic)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
Fork: Rock Shox Tora Air with remote lockout
Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25

bs1.jpg
bs2.jpg

4) GT Agressor XCR (no thoughts of exact model name and year) for 520 USD (used, but in very good condition)
Breaks: hydraulic disk, no exact data
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber (no remote lockout)
Tires: Maxxis Ignitor

gt1.jpg
gt2.jpg

Would highly appreciate any thoughts on which one seems to be the best value for money.
Thank you.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For me the Rockrider, good lightweight fork and the later mostly sorted Avid brakes, the Copperhead for harder riding.

The front tyre on the Scott isn't a Sam!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've got the Rockrider 560, I'm new to MTB's but have a few other road bikes. First impression is that it is light for the price, about 12.5kg, even lighter when the tyres eventually need changing. Shocks are good, 100mm travel is okay for me so far and I'm not that light! Brakes are very good, gear changes crisp and rapid. I'm really happy with it, and it's been recommended was a great starting bike all over this site. I have no idea on the others.
  • For me the Rockrider, good lightweight fork and the later mostly sorted Avid brakes, the Copperhead for harder riding.

The front tyre on the Scott isn't a Sam!

Front tire isn't Sam indeed, thanks for pointing that out. Still it's Schwalbe as I see.
  • I've got the Rockrider 560, I'm new to MTB's but have a few other road bikes. First impression is that it is light for the price, about 12.5kg, even lighter when the tyres eventually need changing. Shocks are good, 100mm travel is okay for me so far and I'm not that light! Brakes are very good, gear changes crisp and rapid. I'm really happy with it, and it's been recommended was a great starting bike all over this site. I have no idea on the others.

Thanks for the opinion. From what I found around the web, Rockrider 560 is generally praised for being real good value-for-money deal, even though this brand isn't that well-known or promoted as other top manufacturers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rockrider is Decathlon stores own band and only sold through their stores.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I have the RR 560 you can't go wrong for the money!